Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Arkygs250

Headlight adjustment question

Hey guys. Do any of you have a procedure for proper headlight adjustment or is a trial and error thing? I rode my GZ for the first time at night the other day and woke up several squirrels while on high beam. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I just bent my down a little bit by hand. Put your palm on top, or bottom, of the headlight and give it a good solid push in the required direction.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I just bent my down a little bit by hand. Put your palm on top, or bottom, of the headlight and give it a good solid push in the required direction.
And then tighten the bolts ???? :??:

I think the "proper" proceedure IS in the owner's manual.
Or more properly, I think it tells you where the adjustment screw is; not sure if it tells you where to aim it though.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Arkygs250

Yes the adjustment screw location is in the manual but it does not tell you the height for the aim. It might be in the service manual. I haven't checked there yet. It isn't a big deal though. I will just do the trial and error thing if I have to.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

The "exact" angle shouldn't really matter. I'd wait until dusk, sit it on a nice flat area and adjust the beam until it met my needs with both high-beam and low-beam switched on.

Not sure about any adjusting bolts. When the SUv backed into my bike, everything up there was twisted and bent. I had to hand align it all anyway.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Sarris

Headlight Alignment

Get your car on a level spot 15 feet from a wall and set your bike at the same distance next to it. Have someone sit on the bike. Then using the (2) adjustment screws (see the service manual) adjust the height of the low beam to the same as the car low beam and slightly offset to the right of center.

That should be close enough for government work.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
davtnn

when you get it right ya might want to mark the the alignment with duct tape on what ever wall ya use (have mine on the garage door for alignment check ... a simple L does it while your sittin on the bike high is just above the x axis and low is below the x axis the beam should just be aside the Y axis... they used to do cars that way
Old 08-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Re: Headlight Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Get your car on a level spot 15 feet from a wall and set your bike at the same distance next to it. Have someone sit on the bike. Then using the (2) adjustment screws (see the service manual) adjust the height of the low beam to the same as the car low beam and slightly offset to the right of center.

That should be close enough for government work.

Gotts disagree with you. You are assumimg low beam will be a little to right of high beam. NOT on a bike. Both beams are straight ahead. Also do not set up a bike using a car for a standard. They are very different. Different height, light patern and focus. Just use a flat wall to ballpark it and then go for a ride after dark. Take a screw driver with you and make final adjustments until you feel it is good.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:25 AM   #9
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Headlight Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Gotts disagree with you. You are assumimg low beam will be a little to right of high beam. NOT on a bike. Both beams are straight ahead. Also do not set up a bike using a car for a standard. They are very different. Different height, light patern and focus. Just use a flat wall to ballpark it and then go for a ride after dark. Take a screw driver with you and make final adjustments until you feel it is good.
+1

The best way to check is trial and error.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
Sarris

Headlight adjustment

The Florida Department of Transportation (where I live) recommends that all headlights should be adjusted to the same height and slightly off center to the right so as not to blind oncoming drivers. My suggestion is only that, and is the way that almost every motorcycle owner I know does it. If you maximize the scope of pattern for your need, I'm sure you are blinding or at least annoying the oncoming traffic. Trial and error usually results in error.

Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it....... nothing.