Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
purslant

Cell Phones

First off let me say I have no intention of using my cell phone while I'm riding.
You won't even find me using it while I"m driveing my truck unless I"m called and I think it's important.
That said ! I know that when the weather cools, and I'm out crusing enjoying the ride that my family may need to get in touch with me, so my questions is has anyone used a bluetooth headset while riding? If so does it work well that is can you hear with it ? My intention would be to pull over to talk as needed.
I carry my phone on my belt, and even though it vibrates I sometime miss calls.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Cell phones, what did we do before them ? I won't even answer while in my cage. I figure if it is important they can phone back with hopes of catching me while I am available and safely parked or away from my ride entirely. Maybe I am just old and fussy but my phone is for my convenience and not for some one else's convenience. Really want my attention, write a letter. lol.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
purslant

cell phone

I agree ! But I guess I just like to have my family able to get hold me when needed.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Personally, I think it's a bad idea. Concentration with a handsfree headset is just as bad as if you're physically holding a phone to your ear, except that you might actually have both hands on the wheel. While riding and in control of a motorcycle, you really need to have a LOT more concentration than you would if you were in a car. That's just not possible to do while focused on a conversation. I even think radios and iPods are a bad idea, but that's just me.

Technically, it's still a bad idea. The wind noise from a headset would overwhelm the mic unless you're using a headset that's made for motorcycles (ie. one built into a helmet). Some of the new BT headsets have noise-canceling tech in them, but that's not really designed for the kind of wind noise you would subject it to on a bike at speed.

I keep my phone in a zipped jacket pocket while riding for emergencies. The ringer is usually loud enough for me to hear if I'm under 30mph, but any cruising over that is useless. If I'm on the bike, then I'm usually not more than 30 minutes away from stopping anyway, and that's what voicemail and caller-id is for.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:09 AM   #5
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Cell phones, what did we do before them ? I won't even answer while in my cage. I figure if it is important they can phone back with hopes of catching me while I am available and safely parked or away from my ride entirely.
:2tup: :rawk: :2tup:

Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Re: cell phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by purslant
I agree ! But I guess I just like to have my family able to get hold me when needed.
My solution to this problem is a shirt with a pocket or a jacket with an inside pocket.
Either place, I can hear/feel it ring much better...........and then pull over to see who it is.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I don't care much for cell phones. Don't keep it in your pants pocket or you get woo-woo cancer. If you have to carry one, keep it in your saddlebags or rear trunk and wait until you get to a stop to check for messages or to call people. Civilization managed to survive a long time without the use of instant communication. I think we can make it a few extra miles before we have to check in.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
purslant

The verdict is in...

Well the verdict is in, and you all have saved me some money.
I'll just put in my jacket pocket or shirt so I can feel or hear it then stop to check .
I can spend the money that I might have spend on the headset on my GZ.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
LilNinja77

I agree with pretty much everything said already. My reflective vest has a nice little phone pocket on the chest where I keep both my earplugs and my phone, and sometimes a crushed soda can for my kickstand. If someone calls me I can feel the vibration, and can normally hear the ringtone to tell who is calling (different tones for different important people makes it easy). Lots of long distance riders do the whole headset-inside the-helmet thing, and some riding buddies of mine have the chatter-boxes hooked up.....personally, I enjoy not being bothered by the phone while riding. Then again, I just don't like cell phones to begin with.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Moedad

Wouldn't want to get woo-woo cancer!! :lol: