Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Kenny007

Rain on my bike!!!

I've only had my bike for 6 days, and boy have I babied it.

Every time I get home, I let it sit for a little bit to cool off, then cover/tuck it in for the evening. Well tonight was no different, EXCEPT....it got rained on! NO!!! As soon as I heard the rain I darted out to cover it before it got worse.

So, while many of you quite possibly drive in the rain, I haven't gotten that far, and am worried about any "after the rain" maintenance that should be done. Are there any parts that are overly sensitive to the rain, or is everything alright?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Its a vehicle. In my opinion, its not meant to be babied any more than my Ford Taurus Stationwagon is.

I really don't think there's any reason to be concerned. I mean, heck, this bike is considered "third world transportation" for a reason. You think poor farmers in god-knows-where is gonna be concerned that the bike was left out in the rain?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Sarris

Rain

I just wipe mine down with a chamois after it gets wet or take it for a short ride to "blow dry" it, then wipe up the rest. No biggie.

I also use an aerosol product called Kawasaki K-Care Wipe Down. It's a cleaner with a light wax that cleans bugs and dirt for a quick cleanup and shine. Spray on and wipe off. Looks like new. I can do the entire bike in about 15 minutes. It's about $5 a can at the local Kawasaki dealer. It's the best aerosol quick cleanup product that I've found.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

The only thing I would worry about is water in the ignition switch. Easy fix. Get a black film canister and cut the top lip off the canister. It will fit over the ignition switch and keep it dry.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
rayzuki

Re: Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I just wipe mine down with a chamois after it gets wet or take it for a short ride to "blow dry" it, then wipe up the rest. No biggie.

I also use an aerosol product called Kawasaki K-Care Wipe Down. It's a cleaner with a light wax that cleans bugs and dirt for a quick cleanup and shine. Spray on and wipe off. Looks like new. I can do the entire bike in about 15 minutes. It's about $5 a can at the local Kawasaki dealer. It's the best aerosol quick cleanup product that I've found.

Meguaris has a real good quick detail spray. Its not aerosol its trigger pump action but this stuff is great. Really takes bugs/tar off easy and leaves a super smooth "wax" feeling. I wax regularly and use this in between waxes. Works great on everything paint, plactic, glass, and chrome. I love this stuff and recommend it to everyone. Mothers has the same stuff but I prefer Meguaris.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
Orpheus

I usually take my bike to the self-service car wash and just spray it off like I would a car and I haven't had any problems yet. Not to say that the way I'm doing it is right, but I haven't noticed anything unusual.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:40 AM   #7
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Orpheus, you might want to be careful with the high-pressure car washes. I've read (on the Internet no less) that the high psi spray can force water into places that it wouldn't normally go with a "normal" pressure - places like bearings, the fuel tank, the carb and fork seals. I haven't done it and honestly don't have any experiences to back it up, but it seems reasonable enough for to be cautious.

Edit:: I found a link at least. I've also heard from other riders that pressure washers can be problematic to motorcycles.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #8
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Orpheus, you might want to be careful with the high-pressure car washes. I've read (on the Internet no less) that the high psi spray can force water into places that it wouldn't normally go with a "normal" pressure - places like bearings, the fuel tank, the carb and fork seals. I haven't done it and honestly don't have any experiences to back it up, but it seems reasonable enough for to be cautious.

Edit:: I found a link at least. I've also heard from other riders that pressure washers can be problematic to motorcycles.
This thought crossed my mind before. Although I've tried not to focus the pressure on things like the gas cap, spark plug, carb, etc., maybe I'll just use the low pressure spray from now on. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Although I've tried not to focus the pressure on things like the gas cap, spark plug, carb, etc., maybe I'll just use the low pressure spray from now on. Thanks.
The high pressure is fine......as long as you stay far enough away when directed at the delicate parts.....especially the dash-board. The only place you should "focus" the pressure (get in close) is the tire rims, inside the fenders and maybe the very bottom and the lower front of the case right behind the front wheel.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
LilNinja77

A good suggestion for any motorcycle, is to take some dialectric grease and put some in all electrical connections for waterproofing. I stripped down the Ninja not long after I got it and did this, and haven't had any issues riding in the rain. Longest in the rain has been about 5 hours of non-stop downpours, coming down hard enough to slow the cages down from 60 to 45 on the highway. Worst I've ridden in was a hail-storm that was knocking trees down on to the highway......if we ever get another hurricane here (sorry, I like hurricanes) I fully intend to ride in it.

Bottom line: It's a machine, not a pet or a significant other (despite how it might feel); it's made specifically to perform a function. Do what you can to prevent water damage, but the dang thing ain't gonna melt from a little rain. Waterproof your electrical connections, and keep watch on your chain if you happen to actually ride in the rain frequently.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~