Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
tokyochick91

Hello, I am new and need some help.

Hello

My name is tokyochick and I live here in beatiful San Diego.

Since I was a little girl, I rode a bike with my father. Now my father is 83 years old still riding a bike back in Japan.
I am old enough to have my own bike. I find good a school to learn how to ride a bike safly. I might be able to buy nice GZ 250 from somebody.

But my biggest problem is my husband. He has 100% disagreed that I should ride a bike.
The reasons are; 1. I am only 61 inches. He thinks I am too short. 2. I am not strong enough to push the bike. 3. It's dangerous.

If you have any ideas to convince my husband, let me know.

When I was a little girl, I saw the movie "Great Escape" and Steve MaQueen jumped over the fence. (The bike was not suzuki).
Since that day, I wanted to ride the Bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: Hello, I am new and need some help.

Welcome Tokyochick91,

If you take the motorcycle safety course, you (and he) will find out if his fears about you being too small and weak have any basis. He could watch the class or even take it with you so he'd know. Maybe just focus on convincing him that taking the class would be good. Worry about a bike after that.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
davtnn

I agree The Basic MSF course is possibly the best option. It will give you confidance and prove you can handle a bike .. besides its a lot of fun and you learn the right way to do things

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Littlethumper

Welcome to the forum tokyochick!
You're not the only short female here,so am i. But i had a GZ250 from my bf before i get
done on my MSF course. Yes, we couldnt pick up the bike if it falls b'coz its too heavy, but we can ride it though! :lol:
I always been a passenger, even when my youngest brother had his first bike when he was 17yrs old when we we're in the Philippines.
I never drove a bike 'til i met my bf here. I use to ride with him as a passenger since he got his yamaha fjr until he got a new kawasaki
zx14 and using it for drag race and its not gonna be able to have passenger. So he bought me the GZ250 to ride.
Try to take MSF course and you'll learn as everyones saying here. :2tup:
And again, you're gonna have a lot of fun! :lol:

Drive safe....
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
bigwonton

Same suggestion as the others. Try a MSF course with your husband to see if both of you enjoy biking or not. I had a coworker who went through the course with her husband and she discovered that it wasn't quite what she expected out of it. But who knows, you may just get bitten by the bug.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
LilNinja77

Quote:
Yes, we couldnt pick up the bike if it falls b'coz its too heavy, but we can ride it though!
With the correct technique anyone can get a motorcycle back upright, including much heavier bikes than the GZ. I've seen 110 lb. women lift up 600lb + bikes. It's all about leverage.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
rayzuki

my wife was completely against me getting a bike. It took me six months to convince her I was going to treat the bike with the respect it deserves and ride responsibly. She came around but it wasn't until the took the MSF course she felt at ease. After telling her what I learned and then showing her after I got my GZ she has been pretty supportive.

My suggestion is take the course.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
sambonz

Hello Tokoyochick91

Few Ideas, 1. A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still. In other words your husband may never be convinced. His opinions may be related to the experiences he has had through out his life, or perhaps just what he has heard from others.....in any case he is expressing concern for you and that is a good thing.......

Absolutely! do take the motorcycle safty course before you buy a bike, many schools have bikes you can use, which is nice because it gives you the actual hands on (so to speak) and by the end of the course you should know the things mentioned by previous replies. i.e. if you can handle a bike, and if it is really what you want to do etc.

2. I lived in Japan for a short time, and while there I saw many Japanese that were quite small by American standards riding the heck out of bikes bigger than a GZ. So for the most part size doesn't matter. It's the gray matter between the ears that will quite literally make or break a motorcyclist.

3. While waiting for a ferry in Bellingham Washington, I spoted a beautiful Goldwing, GL-1800 drive up. I had to get a closer look, when I got close enough for conversation with the rider my interest in the bike waned. It was a woman that had flown from Anchorage Alaska to Las Vegas to buy her new Gold Wing....She was no ordinary rider, she was 84 years old with bad knees.....she got off the bike a little slow, but what a gal! She stated that she had a BMW and a Harley at home too, and had to try a Gold Wing....She was on her way back to Anchorage.

Good luck with you decision.
Ride safe

Sambonz
Old 07-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonz
3. While waiting for a ferry in Bellingham Washington, I spoted a beautiful Goldwing, GL-1800 drive up. I had to get a closer look, when I got close enough for conversation with the rider my interest in the bike waned. It was a woman that had flown from Anchorage Alaska to Las Vegas to buy her new Gold Wing....She was no ordinary rider, she was 84 years old with bad knees.....she got off the bike a little slow, but what a gal! She stated that she had a BMW and a Harley at home too, and had to try a Gold Wing....She was on her way back to Anchorage.
Not to completely throw the thread off-target, but I met an 85 year old lady here pulling up at Walmart with her 90 year old husband riding on the back. She had been riding for 40+ years, and just got rid of an older Goldwing 1500 for something with better mileage and a bit lighter: A Honda Reflex 250cc scooter. For her age, she handled that thing like it was a bicycle. It was very impressive, and inspiring.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Re: Hello, I am new and need some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyochick91
Hello

My name is tokyochick and I live here in beatiful San Diego.

Since I was a little girl, I rode a bike with my father. Now my father is 83 years old still riding a bike back in Japan.
I am old enough to have my own bike. I find good a school to learn how to ride a bike safly. I might be able to buy nice GZ 250 from somebody.

But my biggest problem is my husband. He has 100% disagreed that I should ride a bike.
The reasons are; 1. I am only 61 inches. He thinks I am too short. 2. I am not strong enough to push the bike. 3. It's dangerous.

If you have any ideas to convince my husband, let me know.

When I was a little girl, I saw the movie "Great Escape" and Steve MaQueen jumped over the fence. (The bike was not suzuki).
Since that day, I wanted to ride the Bike.
First off, welcome to the forum. Secondly, my guess is your husband has never been a rider. If he was a rider at one time he probably didn't like it or got scared or hurt. By all means take the rider training in your area. This will help to give you confidence and knowledge to operate a bike. Show the diploma to hubby and be proud that you passed the training. Start looking at protective riding gear(boots, helmet, gloves, jacket and pants). Let hubby know you will not ride without the gear to protect you, after all mishaps do occur. You can't push him into acceptance but maybe you can lead him in the right direction. I don't know if it is his concern for your safety or maybe just a guy thing that a woman should not be a rider. Maybe a little of both.
A GZ will serve you well and be easy to ride. Also the best looking 250 on the street.