Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #31
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Helmets and eye glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Just be sure to have something soft to wrap the spare one in so that it doesn't get scratched up in the saddlebag, tank bag, or whatever.
This is one of the handiest things I have for carrying shields. It fits right around your waist inside your jacket and rides perfectly.

Fieldsheer Visor Bag

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Since this thread started I have procured a flip-face helmet. Still taking the glasses off to install the brain bucket. At least I now have the option of putting on my glasses through the face shield or through the flipped up helmet.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #33
alanmcorcoran

I have two helmets - a full face and a 3/4. I think the 3/4 is a spider or something like a spider (spyder(?) scorpion?)

Ennyhoo, the 3/4 goes on nicely over glasses and you can drink with it as well. I wear the full when I'm going on the highway and the 3/4 for the commute to work (6.5 miles of 45 mph light traffic neighborhood/park two laners.)

I need to get some new prescription aviator/CHP type sunglasses, probably bifocals. I messed up when I got my last pair of sunglasses - got black plastic frames and they don't fit in the helmet well.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #34
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Just be sure to have something soft to wrap the spare one in so that it doesn't get scratched up in the saddlebag, tank bag, or whatever.
This is one of the handiest things I have for carrying shields. It fits right around your waist inside your jacket and rides perfectly.

Fieldsheer Visor Bag
My mesh jacket has a large inside pocket meant to hold a face shield. Wraps right around the right side rib cage.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #35
burkbuilds

Okay, redirect back to the original question, although this is entertaining, I've had 4 helmets from 4 different mfgs. ,they are all XL in size and they all fit a little differently. My modular helmet I can get on and off while wearing my glasses and the same for my blue open face style helmet with shield, but another open face style helmet "hits" and I gave one helmet to my daughter because the lower portion of the face shield actually touched my chin when I shut it and almost hit my nose and there was no way I could have had anything on my head and gotten that one on. I guess what I'm saying is that you might find a helmet that you can get on and off with your glasses on but it may take some looking. I've just found a lot of variation in the way the same "size" helmet fits me. Kinda like jeans from different mfgs. Same size, different fit, some jeans I fit in a 34 waist, some a 36 waist and some a 38 waist, go figure! I kinda prefer the modular style over the Full Face style.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #36
mrlmd1

That's why you need to try on a helmet before you buy it, and if you wear glasses, put them on too and see if everything fits.
It's not a good idea to buy a helmet online (unless you're just getting an exact replacement of what you had, same manufacturer, etc,) - each company's sizing is different, there are many different head shapes and helmet shapes, and even if you ordered the right size, it may not fit properly or be comfortable. Try it on first.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #37
burkbuilds

I agree with you. . . now, that I've learned! But hey, I got lucky with the first two, then one that I couldn't wear and gave to my daughter and the last one is a little tight for putting on while wearing glasses but it's actually my favorite and all four together shipped to my house cost less than two helmets bought locally so I'm not out much. Now that I know which ones fit, I will look for exact replacements from the same mfg's in the future.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #38
alanmcorcoran

I bought my 3/4 somewhat tight - over time the padding compresses a bit and now it fits perfectly. Not sure if the compression happens in all helmets, but I feel that a snuggish fit (but not too snug!) provides the best protection if your head hits the ground. I haven't had that opportunity yet with the motorcycle (and hopefully won't!) but I've done it more times than I care to admit off the bicycle. A snug fitting helmet probably saved me from a concussion or two.

As mrlmd1 recommends, I tried both of mine on in a store before buying...
Old 07-23-2009, 04:18 AM   #39
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
over time the padding compresses a bit and now it fits perfectly. Not sure if the compression happens in all helmets,
Yup! Same thing happened with my 3/4 Airoh "top-one". Really comfy helmet, and I can put it on with my glasses in place. Someone on here said that you can't get Airoh in America. The one thing I've noticed is that , with wearing glasses all the time, the arms have rubbed through the top layer of padding.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #40
mrlmd1

Maybe your head shrunk a little? Lost some more hair?

It's best to have a snug helmet rather than a loose one for better protection and to make sure it stays on and in place when needed.