Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
Astiryu1

Re: The Rundown-by Craig

My problem with referencing the rpm's is there is no Tach

The voltage rectifier is throwing a reading of 11.75 when the key is off and I have the trickle charger hooked up. Should there be a reading from it while the bike and key is off?

After talking to two friends "My Riding Buddy and another that knows a bit about car parts" the issue of the kickstand switch may be to blame. Is there any way to diagnose the kickstand switch as the offender. Sometimes it gets "sticky" from dirt and oil and doesn't open up to allow the bike to start. All I do is depress it a couple times by hand and I am good to go. I understand that I may have to replace that soon anyway according to what I have been told at the local Bike shop where I get misc. parts.

I will test for a short tomorrow when it isn't raining lol. Thanks for the run through on how to do it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

The side stand switch can be cleaned up nicely with WD-40. Put a pan under the bike and hose down the switch with WD while exercising it a bit. Did the exact same thing to my Vstrom a couple times over the years. The switch is easier to get at from the right side of the bike while it is leaned over on the stand. Then give the stand pivot bolt a shoot of chain lube to keep it smooth and easy to operate.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
Astiryu1

My friend and I were wondering if there is a possible bypass for the switch.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

To bypass the sidestand switch? Sure.
It's just a built in kill-switch. You can bypass it and wire it like the stand is always up. People on here have done it but it hasn't been talked about in a while.

That being said, it's a safety feature. It's not hard to repair and doesn't cause any problems as long as it's working... It's either on or off. I don't think it's connected to your other issues.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
mrlmd1

Just FYI - it's not a good idea to eliminate or bypass the sidestand safety switch - it's there for a reason. If you ride off forgetting the sidestand is down and you make a left turn, you will go down as the stand hits the pavement and picks up the rear wheel off the road.
It's hard to believe there could be so many problems with this bike and you are having to replace so many parts. Most problems are due to failure of only one part and you just haven't found out yet what the problem is. At least when you replace everything, maybe you'll get to solve the problem and have a fine running bike.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
mrlmd1

I just re-read you posts and you said before that when you let out the clutch the bike dies. If you had it in gear and the sidestand was down, that would be a normal occurrence, as a safety feature. Does it die if the bike is in neutral? Does it die if the sidestand is up?

Another reason batteries die overnight is that the owner, when shutting off the bike, mistakenly puts the key into the far left PARK position and leaves the rear lights on and may walk away from the bike and not notice that, leading to a dead battery in the morning. If you check the ignition key switch, you will see where the OFF, or LOCK, position is, in the middle of ON and PARK, and this is where it is supposed to be when you turn off the bike. Check on that.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
Astiryu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
At least when you replace everything, maybe you'll get to solve the problem and have a fine running bike.
That is what keeps me going actually...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #28
Astiryu1

Oh yeah I made that mistake once...not after that though. What is the deal with that anyway? It dies when the sidestand is up. Usually when the bike comes off of a hard run at 70mph for about ten miles. That is the last stretch of road to my house between the cities.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astiryu1
It dies when the sidestand is up. Usually when the bike comes off of a hard run at 70mph for about ten mile
Maybe the bike is trying to tell you it doesn't like 70 mph for 10 miles. Try 60 mph the next couple times.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
Astiryu1

It does it anyway lol. That is why I think it is the rectifier. It does it randomly it seems too. Icould go the same amount of time at 30-50 miles an hour and it just starts cutting off when downshifting and I get towards my house.