Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Light Issues

I read it as him just looking at a confusing mass of wires and not knowing what goes where. I imagine if that's all he had to work with, it would seem like a daunting task. That's why I provided the color-coded diagram. That should be all he needs. Most of those wires look like the proper factory colors, except for the two that are spliced with electrical tape.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
kinneyonwheels

I have a meter...will start with the fuses. Here is additional information: I know the head light circuit is good. I have it wired and can plug the light in and both high and low beam works. My first objective is to get power to the tail light/brake light. What you are seeing up front is as follows. A lime(Light Green Wire) a dark green wire, a solid black wire, a solid brown wire, a light brown wire, (which I know goes back to the tail or brake light) The black wire with the white stripe looks to go back to the left signal light. My objective is to figure out why I am not getting power to the brake light/tail lights----I don't have the signal lights to install on the bike. That is another project. Just trying to get her on the road. Weather has turned wet and cold so it will be close to the week-end before I can start checking with the meter. Will report back then. Thanks for you help, You guys are the best.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #13
alantf

Checked the wiring diagram again. Neither circuit (to the tail light) goes from the front of the bike. The brake light +ve goes from each brake light switch, and the tail light +ve goes from the ignition switch. The ground picks up a lot of things, before going to the headlight. It could, possibly, be that there's a break in the wiring somewhere at the rear of the bike. That's where I'd start looking.

BTW, the brown wire appears to be the +ve feed for the parking light (in the headlight on European bikes) and not used on the American bikes. The brown from the ignition splits, & goes to both the headlight & the tail light.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Neither circuit (to the tail light) goes from the front of the bike.
Doesn't the B/W wire from from the head light run staight back to the tail light?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq

Doesn't the B/W wire from from the head light run staight back to the tail light?
Yes, but it hooks up to the high beam warning light, the ignition switch, the side stand switch, the regulator/rectifier, the starter relay coil, and the ignitor, before it gets to the tail light. In fact, as soon as it leaves the tail light, it goes to battery -ve. So, if it was a problem with the earth wire, I'd expect something else not to work.

One more thing - he hasn't told us if he's actually tested at the tail lght bulbholder,to prove whether or not it's just something like a blown bulb, or bad bulbholder.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

True that. It should be easy enough to test if there is juice flowing back there.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
kinneyonwheels

O.K.....I know someone will say DUH, start with the obvious here.....First both signal and tail light fuses were blown. On my way to buy replacements. My question is this. If i do not have signal lights hooked up on the bike. (I either tape the wires so ends are not exposed, or leave them exposed but pull way apart so I can check at the end for voltage) Will the meter tell me which wires are working the signal lights? I am totally new to this stuff. I do not have the front set of signal lights. Main objective is to get brake/light tail lights working first. Will post findings later. So far I do know that I have 12 Volts at both sides of the fuses and they are blown.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
kinneyonwheels

Disregard the previous post. Replaced the fuses...Everything works. I feel so STUPID! No to refer to the wiring diagram get out the meter and find my signal light wires, label them and worry about those another day. Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Thanks for the follow up. Often times someone will post about a problem and then never get back to the forum to update the remedy.

Glad it all worked out for you. You will soon become a wiring pro and can help others in the future.