Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 09-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Re: Got my M1 today...

Ha! Good point. That's something I would forget. Though I don't think a dead battery would be too big of a problem for me. I used to push start my '94 Nissan pickup without much trouble. I think a 302lb gz250 would be easy (relatively speaking).

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnar Infectus
I haven't been out at night yet. I'm kinda nervous about that. Especially seeing as I have a black bike, black jacket, black Helmet, black boots, etc.
Oh that brings me to a related question. Can you see the speedo at night? I mean does it light up...
Magnar, you may find riding at night to be less stressful than you think. While there is always the possibility of some dark creature crossing your path, it's not likely, especially in town. The speedo is very visible, and the forgetting-to-turn-off-the-blinker problem goes away because it is quite prominent in the dark. I find the headlight to be very adequate - I had gotten used to the "flashlight" style lights on my bicycle and this is much, much better. Plus it has a high beam!

If you are a little nervous about it, try waiting until the next full moon and stay in town. You'll be surprised at the amount of visibility there is just by moonlight. Between that and the fact that most of America is lit up like Vegas, you shouldn't have any trouble. Plus there is generally a lot less traffic and it's cooler (temperature-wise).

This is pure conjecture, but I think the single headlight of the bike is more noticeable by the car people at night. They tend to mentally tune you out during the day. Hough talks about a state of induced obliviousness that affects drivers-on-autopilot and I suspect that they are less susceptible to this at night.

I'm a 700 mile newb, but I have almost preferred night riding right from the start.

PS. I wear all black as well and my bike is silver. B-b-b-bad. Bad to the bone!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
This is pure conjecture, but I think the single headlight of the bike is more noticeable by the car people at night.
In some situations maybe but I think not all.

It can be mistaken for the 2 lights of a cage that appear to be one because it is far off......when you are, in fact, quite near.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #14
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus

'm not too worried about night riding. I just haven't done it yet. I checked out the speedo last night in the garage. Woot! It lights up. And I remembered to turn off the lights after wards.

Also, [noob mode]what's an "M1"?[/noob mode] The only M1s I know are the M1 Garand and the M1 Abrams, and I'm pretty sure it's neither of those. (though owning a Abrams would be pretty sweet) I was hoping I'd be able to figure it out through context, but I failed.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
music man

Its a motorcycle license endorsement that I guess you need in certain states to ride at night or on the freeway, in this case California.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #16
Jer

I dont know either. I assume its the license designation....
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnar Infectus
Also, [noob mode]what's an "M1"?[/noob mode]
I wondered that too.....for a few seconds.
I think it is the motorcycle endorsement on his California drivers license.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #18
Jer

I love it.

We're all replying and we dont truly know.

Hilarious.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #19
music man

No if you go back to some of his other posts he mentions it (M1) and that is what its for, to ride at night and on the freeway. Actually I just went and checked, he had to start out with a permit which didn't allow him to ride at night or on the highways, then got his M1 which is my regular motorcycle endorsement here in Arkansas that I got from day one that lets me ride anywhere I want.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #20
Sarris

Hell, I thought it was a BMW M1 Roadster car. I guess I'm stupid too.

:whistle: