Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #21
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
With the price of gas, dealers are pumping up the price of their 250cc bikes (either through "dealer fees" or simply charging way over MSRP). And the sad part is that they are getting it. I've seen several people advertising, and selling, slightly used 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250s for nearly $5000. Crazy.

BTW, re: maintenance. Take it from me, someone who learned the hard way: If you change the oil yourself, do NOT torque the oil drain plug! I stripped mine out and had to replace the entire cap and o-ring that the oil drain plug bolts into. At the very least it was a lesson well-learned.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Alan, your intro was a hoot to read. Both informative and funny. From the sounds of it you will fast become a good safe rider and explore the limits of the GZ. The education part is so important and you apparently have that covered. The bike is very forgiving to a new rider and an excellant learning tool for advancing to a larger machine in time if you choose. Keep smiling but don't swallow any bugs.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:08 AM   #23
alanmcorcoran

Fees and other...

Thanks Water.

Primal, the dealer's opening offer was $4950 out the door. I was prepared for some shenanigans, but I was a little shocked at the $1200 markup. Since I had driven over an hour to the place and had found exactly zero 250's within 50 miles of home, I wasn't exactly in the driver's seat. Even so, I walked on it in favor of a used GZ250 (2005) w/3K mi. for about $1900 less. Because the used one had a payoff (I think it was a consignment and I suspect it had a thinner profit margin), they agreed to knock $500 off the markup on the new one. I still think nearly $700 over MSRP was a hosing, but life is short and my time is more valuable than my money.

In the car biz, "destination" charges are real - but our cars all had invoices from the manufacturer glued to the windows. The bikes had no such thing and I found a $495 "destination" fee hard to swallow. I recognized the "dealer prep" and "safety inspection" fees on the price 'worksheet' as classic crank yanking. The final sales document they gave me had no itemization at all for the base price of basically 4K so I think they made the most of the one GZ 250 left in Orange County.

I'm not what you'd call a "shopper", but you'd think they'd realize that a guy my age and with my income is probably gonna spend a bucket load on accessories and is a likely future candidate for one of those two wheeled, 16K rolling living rooms they have out on the floor. If I find they had their way with me, I won't be going back for seconds.

I know that car dealers are considered the scum of the earth, and the dealership I worked for back in the seventies was a pretty mercenary outfit, but, compared to my experiences at numerous So Cal bike dealers - well, there is no comparison. I've met some very nice and fun people at the bike shops, but as businesses, they seem very bush league compared to even the most poorly run car place. Just my two cents.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 AM   #24
Newbiker08

Welcome Alan, I liked the intro. It took me 3 smokes and a couple of cups of joe to get my nerves settled for my first ride. But I bought mine used and it is fully brkoe in with 6,500 miles on it. With me at 200lbs and my gear and saddlebags lightly loaded the bike is doing 70+ with no problem. I don't think I will want a bigger bike for speed , but instead to take a rider and be more comfortable for longer rides. Daytona anyone?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #25
Easy Rider

Re: RE: My first nine miles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-gz
One thing I have recently learned from friend who rides a big Yamaha VStar. . . roll off the throttle completely and sqeeze the clutch all the way in before shifing. Makes it real smooth.
Well, different strokes.....
While that shifting method may serve you well now, it probably won't for long.
The first time you try to upshift against a 20 mph wind or up a steep hill, you will likely find that you lose too much forward momentum by doing it that way.

The best method I have come across is to "load" the shifter with a slight upward toe pressure just BEFORE you are going to shift. That way, when the time is just right, the transmission will just "slide" up into the next gear. After you get a little more experience, give it a try. In my 40+ years of riding I have yet to find anyone who doesn't like it that way, once they get used to the difference. Well......that Harley 74 with the stick shift WAS a whole different story!!

Using that method, one can actually shift WITHOUT using the clutch..........a skill that is not highly recommended in normal use but VERY handy if/when your clutch cable ever breaks.