Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Newbie from sunny (aka rainy) South FL

Howdy all. My name is Josh. 32/m/South FL. I'm a new rider. Well I haven't actually gotten to ride yet (more on that later). I found this site while researching bikes, and have been lurking here for the last two months or so. All of you were helpful in my decision making process. So I thank you.

I decided to go with a bike for the same reason as a lot of you: gas. I drive a 17mpg truck (which I love, and need so I'm keeping for rainy days, cargo transport, and highway travel). I considered a second high mpg car like a Prius, but taking in account the cost of the car it would take me 7-10 years to see a return on my investment. A small, inexpensive bike on the other hand… well you all know the story.

Two weeks ago I purchased a black 2008 GZ250. (She doesn't have a name yet) She's got almost 2 whole miles on her (just a baby still), but sadly she's been sitting in my garage since then. As of July 1st 2008 you can't get a Motorcycle license in FL until you have completed the bike safety class. I didn’t find out about the change until June 25 or so. I signed up for the class back in June (before I knew about the change), but the first available class wasn't until Aug 14th. Basically I can’t (legally) ride the bike for a little over two weeks. I already have my helmet, gloves, and jacket, and I’ve been reading all the documentation for the class, my bike, and bikes in general, so I should be ready when I take the class.

While the bike's been sitting in the garage I've been tinkering with her a tad. I de-badged her. That was much easier that I thought it was going to be. I found that my driver's license was the easiest way to remove the stickers. I plan on adding the 16 tooth sprocket sometime in the near future. Since all my driving will be on 35mph to 55mph roads, the lower top speed won't be a problem. I'll probably even add the tach, not that I need it. I just like the way it looks, though I'll want another dial for the other side to balance it out visually. (I dunno what I’d put there though)

Whew that was longer that I thought it would be.

Anyway Thanks for your help. I'll be here for a bit. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute at least as much to this forum as I've gotten (and will get) out if it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Littlethumper

Welcome Josh and congratulations for your new ride!.....

Theres a lot of infos here...enjoy your stay kiddo!

Again, welcome!

Drive safe... :rawk:
Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
roscosmom

Send a message via Yahoo to roscosmom
welcome

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Newbie from sunny (aka rainy) South FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnar Infectus
I'll probably even add the tach, not that I need it. I just like the way it looks, though I'll want another dial for the other side to balance it out visually. (I dunno what I’d put there though)
I've been wanting a clock somewhere on the instrument "cluster" but haven't found the right one for the right price yet.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Sarris

Greetings

Welcome brother from one Floridian to another. I live in New Port Richey, just north of Tampa Bay. This is the rainy season and it sucks. I think you've made an excellent choice in motorcycle and in forum.

Do a little reading on the site and you'll see that most folks recommend the 16 tooth front sprocket change to improve rideablity, a decent windshield and some saddlebags.

Ride safe and practice!

:2tup:

Old 08-01-2008, 04:47 AM   #6
Orpheus

Love the Geiger pic. Got a couple of books of his art myself.

Sounds like you're on the right track waiting until you take the MSF to start riding. You'll love it. If you have a parking lot or a long driveway, you might want to get used to using the friction zone on the clutch and practice using both brakes to stop as a little prep before you get to the class; that's pretty much what most of the first day of class is and you'll have a good head start that way.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
cconleyjr

welcome welcome :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:
Old 08-02-2008, 03:27 AM   #8
5th_bike

Re: Newbie from sunny (aka rainy) South FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnar Infectus
I plan on adding the 16 tooth sprocket sometime in the near future. [..] I'll probably even add the tach, not that I need it. I just like the way it looks, though I'll want another dial for the other side to balance it out visually. (I dunno what I’d put there though)
Welcome.

1) I'd wait with the 16t sprocket, until after 1,000 miles at least, to first drive it in according to the book, and to get used to it.

2) Suggestion: I saw a picture of a volt meter on the left side on another bike's instrument cluster, that looked fine. However my cables on the left don't really allow for anything much there. And then, there is the 'reset' for the trip odometer...

I am about to put a tach on the right side and the plan is to put it 'straight', not rotated, compared to the speedometer.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
@ Littlethumper, roscosmom, cconleyjr
Thanks

@ patrick_777
I hadn't thought of a clock. I'll put that on my list of possibilities.

@ Sarris
The 16T sprocket and saddlebags are on my list of future purchases. I'll be carrying my gear in a backpack till i get my saddlebags. I'm not sure about the windshield though.

@Orpheus
There's a long winding road that loops my neighborhood. Probably 2 or 3 miles long, and hardly any traffic. I'll probably use that for practice.

@ 5th_bike
1. You're probably right. I'll hit the 1k mark within 4 month though so It won't be that long of a wait.
2. A volt meter is also a possibility. I forgot about the trip meter reset. I'll have to think about how to engineer the "dash" so everything is accessable and symmectrical.