Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
ddoyle

Front disk brake squeaking

Alright....here's a question from a real newbie. I got my GZ250 a month and a half ago and I love her. I noticed that it sounded like the front brake was dragging/squeaking at low speeds. I mentioned this to the mechanic when I took her in for the 600 mile check up and he said they would look at it. Well, it still seems to be doing it. This isn't just dust, it sounds like the pads are actually touching the disk. I have moved the bike around with the engine off and it's very noticeable. What should I do????

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
finallyinthesaddle

Re: Front disk brake squeaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoyle
Alright....here's a question from a real newbie. I got my GZ250 a month and a half ago and I love her. I noticed that it sounded like the front brake was dragging/squeaking at low speeds. I mentioned this to the mechanic when I took her in for the 600 mile check up and he said they would look at it. Well, it still seems to be doing it. This isn't just dust, it sounds like the pads are actually touching the disk. I have moved the bike around with the engine off and it's very noticeable. What should I do????
It's a GZ trait. Mine does it at any given speed or with any other variables there might be. There isn't a set pattern. They just squeak. I've seen others on here say the same. Don't worry about; just make sure that the pads are still in good shape.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Sarris

Squeaking Brakes

Most all GZ disk brakes exhibit some squeak or squeal upon use. The disk brake pads do stay in contact with the rotor, this is normal. That being said, they should not grind or squeak when not engaged. I have had disk brake pads in the past with a foreign object embedded in the pad (a small piece of metal) that caused a constant grinding and/or squeaking noise and eventually ruined the rotor. I would suggest you get on the dealers ass and have the pads removed and inspected. Also, I would do a visual on the rotor and see if the are any gall marks or grooves forming.

If they won't do it, I'd tell you to download the service manual on this site and visually inspect the pads yourself. Better safe than sorry. Replacement disk brake pads are a helluva lot cheaper than replacing the rotor.

Good luck and keep us advised on your progress or repair.

:chop:

Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
finallyinthesaddle

Re: Squeaking Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Most all GZ disk brakes exhibit some squeak or squeal upon use. The disk brake pads do stay in contact with the rotor, this is normal. That being said, they should not grind or squeak when not engaged. I have had disk brake pads in the past with a foreign object embedded in the pad (a small piece of metal) that caused a constant grinding and/or squeaking noise and eventually ruined the rotor. I would suggest you get on the dealers ass and have the pads removed and inspected. Also, I would do a visual on the rotor and see if the are any gall marks or grooves forming.

If they won't do it, I'd tell you to download the service manual on this site and visually inspect the pads yourself. Better safe than sorry. Replacement disk brake pads are a helluva lot cheaper than replacing the rotor.

Good luck and keep us advised on your progress or repair.

:chop:
I dunno, Sarris, I've only had my bike for about a month and a half also, and the pads on it squeak pretty much all the time, too. Occassionally (sp?) they'll stop, but there isn't a rhyme or reason to them.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Sarris

Squeaking Brakes

Brother, mine make NO noise until engaged, then I get a light squeal that fades as additional lever pressure is applied.

Like I said, better safe than sorry. Your bike, your choice.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Brother, mine make NO noise until engaged, then I get a light squeal that fades as additional lever pressure is applied.

Same here. I've heard a LOT of Suki owners complain about noisy brakes WHEN THEY ARE APPLIED on various models including the GZ but you two are the first I have heard complain about noises when they are NOT being used.

My bike wasn't new when I got it so I can't say if it's normal for really low mileage or not. I've got 3K on the clock now and it certainly hasn't done it since I got it at about 2K.

It's possible that the pads are not "broken in" yet but are glazed from light use.
Have you tried a few "hard" stops ? .....away from traffic, of course.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
ddoyle

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. I would expect a little squeaking when the brakes are first applied, but this is with NO pressure on the brake lever, not even touching the brake lever, and moving the bike, say, backwards into a rather tight parking space that I have next to my truck in the garage. I can hear something in contact with the rotor as the wheel moves. I kinda thought there might be some kind of adjustment I could make to the caliper; is there a spec for clearance between the pads and the rotor in the open position? I guess I could get off me a#s and look in the manual that is on this same site, couldn't I?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Sarris

Quote:
The disk brake pads do stay in contact with the rotor, this is normal.
No clearance at all. No available adjustment. You might take Easy's advice and try a couple hard stops as it make stop the noise. Otherwise, I'd visually inspect the pads.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #9
Orpheus

Quote:
Quote:
The disk brake pads do stay in contact with the rotor, this is normal.
No clearance at all. No available adjustment. You might take Easy's advice and try a couple hard stops as it make stop the noise. Otherwise, I'd visually inspect the pads.

I get a light squeal occasionally too, and this usually fixes it. I've noticed it the most when I'm going really slow, like pulling into parking spaces, but I don't notice it all the time.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Mine squeals when the rotors are cold (relatively). After about 5-10 minutes of stop & go riding, I seldom hear a squeal again.