Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
TrevorG

clutch going?

Hey everyone,

I'm new to riding so I didn't know this was even an issue. I just thought that's the way these smaller bikes work until an experienced friend of mine took bike for ride and said that it's definitely not normal.
So here's the deal: it seems as if there's a certain threshold where the rpm's will "break away" from driving the wheel. That is to say the rpm's will continue to rise but the wheel itself will lose power and slow down.

For example, most noticeably in third gear, if I accelerate moderately the bike goes like it should but if I really try to power forward, the rpm's will break free from driving the wheel and rev up. I'll need to release the throttle, let the engine speed drop back down to match the wheel speed, and then accelerate more slowly to keep that traction.

My question is, do you guys think this is a clutch issue, a transmission issue out something else?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
blaine

You may need a cable adjustment.When adjusted properly you should have 1/2" to 9/16" at the outer end of clutch lever.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
TrevorG

Yeah, I did some research on some other sites and that's the first thing I saw. I'll adjust and test it later today. Hopefully that's all it is because otherwise this is a great little bike

Edit: Yup, that's all it was. Fixed it right up. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by TrevorG; 05-24-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG View Post
Yeah, I did some research on some other sites and that's the first thing I saw. I'll adjust and test it later today. Hopefully that's all it is because otherwise this is a great little bike

Edit: Yup, that's all it was. Fixed it right up. Thanks for the help!
No problem.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

You are new to riding so likely we can assume you bought a used bike. Do you know when the oil was last changed? The previous owner may have changed oil and put in car oil that is not compatible with a wet clutch design in most motorcycles. If you don't know when the bike was last serviced then you might be well advised to change the oil and oil filter. You can use a motorcycle specific oil or a diesel oil such as Shell Rotella.
Hope it's only a clutch adjustment but the wrong oil will make the clutch slip too.
A wise investment in your time will be reading over any service threads and How To's on the forum. The GZ is a fairly simple bike to service and just needs a little TLC now and again just like other mechanical devices.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
TrevorG

Thanks for the advice WW. I just changed the oil myself a few weeks ago along with cleaning out the carb, adjusting valve clearances, cleaning the chain and installing new brakes. I'm pretty good with all the mechanical stuff because I've worked on my own cars for years, just wasn't sure of the bike-specific stuff. I adjusted the clutch cable so there was a half inch of play and it seems to be accelerating much better now. The last owner really didn't seem to know what she was doing and so I assume she tightened it up all the way which left the clutch ever so slightly engaged all the time which led to it slipping when there was too much torque.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
TrevorG

On another note, is it normal for the clutch lever to be loose vertically? I can wiggle it up and down almost an inch. The bolt is tightened all the way, but is there maybe a spacer or something in there that could be missing?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
blaine

Quote:
On another note, is it normal for the clutch lever to be loose vertically? I can wiggle it up and down almost an inch. The bolt is tightened all the way, but is there maybe a spacer or something in there that could be missing?
If I remember correctly there should be a bushing tht the bolt goes thru or you got the wrong bolt. Here is a link.

http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/f...003&fveh=10117

Old 05-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
5th_bike

Quote:
On another note, is it normal for the clutch lever to be loose vertically? I can wiggle it up and down almost an inch.
Yes it's normal, that is to say, mine does that too. And I'm not worried about it.