Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #11
Orpheus

Speaking of oil changes, I just got a bunch of filters from bikebandit.com for like $2 each (plus s&h). Much cheaper than others I've found.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2008, 02:42 AM   #12
hippybilly

Oil Change After 3,000

Are them filters any count? Are they a good brand or cheapies? I wouldn't mind stocking up if they were good stuff. I have to learn this bike stuff. I'm hung up in the 60s-70s SB Chevy mode too much. I always ran Wix filters, but I be they don't make Suzuki filters huh? Thanks for sharing the filter thing. I'll go check it out. I just go the bike and it's got 3,000 miles on it and I was gona change the oil. Go to synthetic and synthetic everything I can on it. I got to read the manuals and see what all kinda juices go where in this thing. I wonder if it's got synthetic brake fluid already in them or not?

Anybody tell me where to get the best deal on full face helmets? After reading things on the forum today I've decided that I'm gona go that route. I learned so much my first day today that I'm just tickle to death I found this place and all you guys that are on it. Here's to you all :2tup: :2tup: :2tup:
Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #13
Badbob

After paying $15 for an oil filter at a bike shop I went shopping for filters on line and bought one of every brad I could find. All of them except one were identical except for the packaging. The most expansive and the cheapest were the same filter right down to the markings. The one that was different had pink filter paper.

This is not a scientific study but it satisfied me. I buy the cheapest one available. I would have bought a pile of them at $2 each.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #14
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Oil Change After 3,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippybilly
Are them filters any count? Are they a good brand or cheapies? I wouldn't mind stocking up if they were good stuff. I have to learn this bike stuff. I'm hung up in the 60s-70s SB Chevy mode too much. I always ran Wix filters, but I be they don't make Suzuki filters huh? Thanks for sharing the filter thing. I'll go check it out. I just go the bike and it's got 3,000 miles on it and I was gona change the oil. Go to synthetic and synthetic everything I can on it. I got to read the manuals and see what all kinda juices go where in this thing. I wonder if it's got synthetic brake fluid already in them or not?

Anybody tell me where to get the best deal on full face helmets? After reading things on the forum today I've decided that I'm gona go that route. I learned so much my first day today that I'm just tickle to death I found this place and all you guys that are on it. Here's to you all :2tup: :2tup: :2tup:
In this section, General Maintenance, the first post is a download of the service manual. I have a real physical paper copy and I would recommend it but the online version allows you the ability to print off only the pages that need. It's nice.

The oil juices that we have are crankcase juices and brake fluid. As far as oil goes, make sure you don't use anything that is "energy conserving". I haven't changed my brake fluid yet. No comments on that one.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #15
Easy Rider

Re: Oil Change After 3,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I haven't changed my brake fluid yet. No comments on that one.
When it comes to brake fluid, it is ***NOT*** a good idea to try and change "types". Stick with what was in there to start with. If you mix traces of the old fluid with the wrong kind of new fluid, you get a paste, something like glue. That is a VERY costly mistake.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #16
hippybilly

3,000 Oil Change

Bob, your oil filter study seems good enough for me. I think I'll stock up too. Oil filters are probably like my cousin that owned an automotive machine shop use to tell me when I asked which rod and main bearings (brand) were the best.......he said there ain't but 3 or 4 companys that build bearings (back then) and they manufacture them for all kinds of companys just with different names on the package. There are probably are only so many company's that build oil filters and the rest is just packaging.

I'll probably go ahead and print out the manual also. My eyes get to hurting after so many hours of staring at my cheap monitor. I like the paper thing and since I'll probably keep this bike for many moons to come, I'll put the pages in document protectors and 3 ring binder it so I can take it to the shop building and get finger prints all over it while I'm working on things. Hippybilly :rawk:
Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #17
Orpheus

Here's the filters I bought: http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-p ... 65+1177770

I actually followed a link that someone here provided to find them, but I'm pretty sure you aren't going to find them cheaper unless you buy in bulk. They're $2.06 each and it cost me about $6 s&h. I was changing the filter every other oil change, but now that I've found them for this cheap, I guess I'll change the filter with the oil every time. This thread reminds me that I need to change my brake fluid and fork oil, too. Anybody have any experience changing fork oil or should I just have a shop do it for me?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #18
Tonckawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Here's the filters I bought: http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-p ... 65+1177770

I actually followed a link that someone here provided to find them, but I'm pretty sure you aren't going to find them cheaper unless you buy in bulk. They're $2.06 each and it cost me about $6 s&h. I was changing the filter every other oil change, but now that I've found them for this cheap, I guess I'll change the filter with the oil every time. This thread reminds me that I need to change my brake fluid and fork oil, too. Anybody have any experience changing fork oil or should I just have a shop do it for me?
The OEM part number for the filter at the link you provided is the exact one that was given to me when I bought them at the Suzuki dealer. I just change my oil again at the 600 mile mark and I saw no metal shavings. At 1,000 mile, I am going to Gastrol Synthetic and order the filters in bulk (4 or 5) from your link. :rawk: