Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
SilverAg08

Fixer Uper

I am new to the forums, but yesterday my father and I drove to a rural Texas town and picked up a 2001 GZ250. We got the bike trough a family friend for free but the bike had been sitting in her garage for about 5 years. Driving out there yesterday we didn't really have a clue what awaited us, we really weren't even sure of the make or model. What we wound up with was a bike with 256.3 miles on it with a dead battery, varnished gas and rusted tank, slight pitting on all the chrome and flat tires.

The Good: the tires are inflated now and holding air, and for all intents and purposes are brand new.
with a little elbow grease the pitting can be removed and she can be back to showroom sheen in no time

The Bad (stuff I need help with): The tank was bad... really bad. We cleaned it out as best we could but are thinking that a new tank might be the best solution. Is there any place ya'll know of or would recommend to get a tank from? What's the going price on the tank?
Also the battery is essentially a black brick. we tried charging it but its not taking. Is this battery readily available at your average AutoZone?
On the pitting, is there any method you are aware of that is especially effective at removing pitting? Right now I'm trying rubbing compound and turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover... its doing a decent job but if there is a better way I'm all for trying it.
tia

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Fixer Uper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAg08
The Good: the tires are inflated now and holding air, and for all intents and purposes are brand new.

Also the battery is essentially a black brick. we tried charging it but its not taking. Is this battery readily available at your average AutoZone?

On the pitting, is there any method you are aware of that is especially effective at removing pitting?
Tires: They are NOT brand new. They are 7 years old. Probably stiff and hard and cracked around the flat spot where they were on the ground. They will be good enough for testing purposes but when you get to the point where you think it is road worthy, you WILL need new tires (and tubes).

Battery: Avaliable at most any place that sells batteries......by order. Readilly available at Zuki dealer and specialty battery stores, like Interstate. $85-100 for a good, sealed type. Be sure it is fully charged before you use it.

Pitting: In addition to whatever polish you are using......or even just WD40.....very fine steel wool will make the process a lot faster. 000 or 0000 will NOT scratch the chrome if you use it gently. The chrome will now require periodic attention; once the pitting starts, it won't go away. CAUTION: That only applies to real chrome. Never use steel wool on plastic "chrome".

Gas tank: Need to remove the petcock assy. to really get it flushed out good. Shaking the tank with some steel nuts in it will help. After that, an external fuel filter (ceramic or paper) will allow you to run it for a while until you get a new tank......and I agree that a new tank is the best way to go. Any other "fix" will be a pain in the butt for evermore.

Unless it was parked with the petcock in the PRIme position, that carb will probably be OK but should be flushed out with a good carb cleaner, full strength before trying to start it the first time. A little starting fluid (ether) will probably help with that first start. Some carb cleaner in the first couple of tanks will finish that process.

And, last but not least, when you DO get it running, you probably should change the oil and filter AGAIN after about 50-100 miles. New air filter and brake fluid should be on the list too.....after it's running.

Good luck! Hope you don't find any (more) major malfunctions.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Well he pretty much covered evetrything....

Get new tires
Get new battery
Clean the carb
Get a new tank (I'd also install an inline fuel filter anyway, even with a new/used tank)

Honestly, until the bike is running like a champ, pitting and looks would be at the bottom on my list

I'd also go ahead and change out the spark plug and engine oil.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
SilverAg08

more pics