Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
namari

Battery size

Two weeks ago I bought a '99 GZ250. It had been garaged since 2008 and the battery was dead. Naturally, I wanted to listen to it run and take it for a ride before I bought it, so I brought along a Yamaha Zuma battery (12v, 4.6amp, 85CCA) and it fired right up. Since it worked fine, I just left it in. It's almost the same specs as the GZ250 recommended battery with the exception of the amps (6 amp recommended). Am I ok using the smaller amp battery or is there a negative side effect? First real post. Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
alantf

Re: Battery size

I hope you charged it up before fitting it. If not, it might soon go west. One other thing, the GZ has a week charging system, so you may find that the lower power battery runs down quicker. Actually it's all MAYBE, so see how this battery performs. :2tup:
Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
namari

Thanks Alantf! Yes, the battery was charged b4 loading it. No risk of damage to the electrical system or starter then, right? If not, I figure I might as well use it until it starts to go south. I've got no better use for it.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
mrlmd1

That battery obviously has enough capacity or "oomph" to turn over the starter and start the bike, so it is fine to use it. The only problem you may run into with it is that if you have to make multiple attempts at cranking the bike, if for some reason it won't start on the first one or two attempts, it may run out of "juice" faster because of it's small capacity. It should charge up just fine. Hopefully it will work OK at night too with all the lights on.
Just use the choke appropriately to start the bike in the AM and don't think it's macho not to use it first thing in the morning or after a long interval between rides. When and if the time comes, get a larger capacity battery.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
namari

Shouldn't matter at night anyway, 'cause the stator is what powers the electrical circuit (lights etc.) after the bike is started, right? Or am I wrong about that? Thanks for the feedback guys and gals!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
alantf

[attachment=0:2vrht18k]img082.jpg[/attachment:2vrht18k]I reckon you'll find that most of the charging circuit goes to charging the battery, after it's used to power the ignition circuit.