Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: bike runs great for about 20 minutes then stalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmondson3604
Thank for the help everyone. johnathan180iq, just noticed, youre in dalton ga. very close to my neck of the woods.
Cool, man. If you ever need anything just hit me up. I don't have a bike currently but I'm always in the market and I kinda know what I'm doing.... Aw, who am I kidding? I only enough to be able to screw things up the FUBAR level.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
mrlmd1

One of the signs of the cap vent being plugged is a slight hissing when you turn the bike off - from the air being sucked back into the tank. Another sign is if and when you remove the cap you may hear the inrush of air into the tank
Either way, glad you found the problem and were able to fix it. Sometimes the easiest solutions are never thought of and people spend all kinds of money replacing things that aren't broke trying to solve a problem they don't understand. And that's why we are here. :2tup: :2tup: :rawk:
Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
edmondson3604

Well, back to square one. Rode bike to work, about 25 miles and ran fine. Left.work started rigjt up and ran for about 5 min. And died doin about 35. Will crank but wont start. gonna haul it home.. Frustrated.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
mrlmd1

If the bike stutters then dies, not suddenly dying, you could also have a fuel delivery problem, possibly from a clogged/dirty strainer at the top of the fuel pickup tube in the tank. Does anybody else know if there is a little strainer on the ends of the fuel pickup tubes? - I seem to remember that there was. To see if this is a problem, try to start or run it on Reserve, that may not be clogged. Also remove the fuel line from the petcock to the carb, crank the bike and see if any fuel drips out.
See if there is any dirt in the fuel. And try to run it also on Prime. Check the vacuum hose to the petcock to make sure it's not cracked or leaking. The petcock needs vacuum to open so fuel flows when in Run or Reserve.
This may not be the problem, but start at the top and work your way down. (and the obvious - you do have gas in the tank, right?)
Did you try and remove the gas cap again and see if it started? That vent tube may still be clogged.

Also. make sure your battery terminal connections are clean and tight. A loose connection while riding can vibrate even looser and without any juice, the bike dies.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
edmondson3604

I am getting fuel and spark. went out this morning and it would crank, but will not turn over. taking it to a shop, after cleaning the carb, replacing the battery, changing oil and plug. im done messing with it. I just dont get why it ran fine all the way to work. started fine and ran good, for about 1 mile after work then just quits. Checked out all connections this morning, unplugged fuel line from carb, gettin fuel cause its pumps while i try and start it. Tested for spark at the plug and its ok too.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
raul10141964

check compression one of the valves may bi to tite
Old 05-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I don't know, Raul.
In my experience when valves are too tight the problem presents itself during cold starting, not once the bike is warmed up.

I had an issue like this with my old Ninja 250 after the bike sat for a few weeks. I could start it, not problem and I could even get up to speed. But after a few minutes the bike would sputter out and it would die. I had this problem for a couple of days but I was always able to get to where I was going and, like you, the bike would be fine after sitting for a while.

My solution cleared itself up after burning through a half tank of gas. I guess there was just some varnish or debris that unclogged itself. (I was younger at the time and didn't know what I was doing anyway so I couldn't really tell you what it was.)

If you said you have already cleaned the carb, then I would ask how old your gas is. The clog being inside the gas tank, at the petcock fill tube, sounds pretty solid. But you also need good vacuum and the vacuum hoses attached in the right place. There are two hoses behind the petcock that people get plugged up backwards a lot of time and it can cause issues similar to the one you are describing.