Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
atomic01

Side stand blows the ignition fuse

So I had replace the main frame on my 2007 GZ. It took awhile, but I simple moved everything from my old bike onto the new frame .... everything. It all went pretty darn smoothly, or so I thought. I tried to start the bike for the first time last night and got nothing. When I turn the key, all the lights and everything work perfectly on that end. My confusion now is whenever I put the side stand up ... the ignition fuse blows ??????? I was thinking maybe a bad side stand relay? Because the fuse keeps blowing I can't actually get to the part where the bike fires up. Any thoughts of what to check?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
OldNTired

Re: Side stand blows the ignition fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic01
So I had replace the main frame on my 2007 GZ. It took awhile, but I simple moved everything from my old bike onto the new frame .... everything. It all went pretty darn smoothly, or so I thought. I tried to start the bike for the first time last night and got nothing. When I turn the key, all the lights and everything work perfectly on that end. My confusion now is whenever I put the side stand up ... the ignition fuse blows ??????? I was thinking maybe a bad side stand relay? Because the fuse keeps blowing I can't actually get to the part where the bike fires up. Any thoughts of what to check?
Sounds like you have a serious short at that switch. Check your wiring, look for mis-connections and missing insulation.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
alantf

Re: Side stand blows the ignition fuse

[attachment=0:3e7zubcn]img083.jpg[/attachment:3e7zubcn]

Looking at the circuit diagrams, the only thing that could be the cause (in the switch) is the blocking diode. That's there to stop any feedback from -ve to +ve. Any other short would just make the switch inoperative. Is the neutral light coming on? I've known a broken filament to short a circuit out. If these are ok, it seems like the relay may be the problem (or a general wiring fault.) Let me know which of the two fuses is blowing (the one before the ignition switch, or the one before the side stand relay) so that I can narrow the posibilities down. :2tup:

Note:- is it the fuse with the red wire going to it, or the one with the orange/yellow?

Login or Register to Remove Ads