Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
DieHardBigRaw

Follow up question

Ok, so I bought a new rectifier/voltage regulator, installed it, and tested it at the battery. At idle I got a reading of 12.5V at Revving the engine I got up to 12.76V, I let it rev for about 30 seconds to a minute (at most) should I be revving it longer to recieve the desired reading of 13.2V or is it possible that I have a deeper electrical short issue? I don't want to kill the battery by constantly charging it just to ride it a few miles and risk damaging the battery. The bike sat for a week without being started while I waited for my part and today it fired right up without being charged, so it sounds like the battery is good. I just want to make sure that 1) I am testing correctly 2) where to go from here if it doesn't sound like the rectifier is the now the problem? Thanks all, you have all been great!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
OldNTired

Re: Follow up question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardBigRaw
Ok, so I bought a new rectifier/voltage regulator, installed it, and tested it at the battery. At idle I got a reading of 12.5V at Revving the engine I got up to 12.76V, I let it rev for about 30 seconds to a minute (at most) should I be revving it longer to recieve the desired reading of 13.2V or is it possible that I have a deeper electrical short issue? I don't want to kill the battery by constantly charging it just to ride it a few miles and risk damaging the battery. The bike sat for a week without being started while I waited for my part and today it fired right up without being charged, so it sounds like the battery is good. I just want to make sure that 1) I am testing correctly 2) where to go from here if it doesn't sound like the rectifier is the now the problem? Thanks all, you have all been great!
Well, things aure are NOT going well for you!
At about 3000 RPM you should be getting at least 13.2VDC, up tp about 13.8 VDC.
Maybe you are not revving the engine up to 3000RPM?
Try again, at a higher RPM, and see what happens.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
DieHardBigRaw

ok, did some more testing, with the dim lights on doing my test, I got the engine to rev up to 13V, but that was at a high RPM Gauge and the engine idling at 12.6V with the brights on it idles at 12.3V and I could only rev it to 12.6V. However after some more 'playing' with it, I put the bike in first gear, and moved it back and forth in place (in and out of neutral using the clutch) and while in gear and running I put the kickstand down (remember reading a thread that the side stand should shut the engine off if it is put down while the the engine is in gear and running) and the engine continued to run! is it possible I have short in my sidestand and that is causing my other problems? Thanks!!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
dentheman

Yes, you now know there is a problem with the switch or wiring. So, that is a good place to start.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

A previous owner may have bypassed the side stand switch or it just failed on it's own. Trace the wiring and maybe lube the switch plunger as it may be just seized up in a convenient position.
The difference between hi and lo beam is only a 5 watt draw. I would be suspicious of the changes in voltage you have recorded from hi to lo.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
DieHardBigRaw

Thanks Water Warrior, I thought the same thing about the voltage recordings. Especially when upon further inspection the Side Stand plunger is working just fine, its just not sending the signal to cut the engine off. I am probably going to have to take it to a dealer to have some diagnostics run. I only have about 4 weeks before they come pick up my household goods to ship them to Germany for me and my bike will go with them. The overall problem is this: There seems to be a lack of charging going on. I went for a long ride (about 1.5 hours with 1 stop), and the battery completely died in the middle of road (luckily I was slowing down anyway) and after 3 hours of charging the bike had charged enough to start but died after a short drive around the block. Testing at the battery showed an output of 12.5V at idle and no change when I revved the engine. Ordered a new voltage regulator, installed it, and today the results are as posted above.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardBigRaw
Thanks Water Warrior, I thought the same thing about the voltage recordings. Especially when upon further inspection the Side Stand plunger is working just fine, its just not sending the signal to cut the engine off. I am probably going to have to take it to a dealer to have some diagnostics run. I only have about 4 weeks before they come pick up my household goods to ship them to Germany for me and my bike will go with them. The overall problem is this: There seems to be a lack of charging going on. I went for a long ride (about 1.5 hours with 1 stop), and the battery completely died in the middle of road (luckily I was slowing down anyway) and after 3 hours of charging the bike had charged enough to start but died after a short drive around the block. Testing at the battery showed an output of 12.5V at idle and no change when I revved the engine. Ordered a new voltage regulator, installed it, and today the results are as posted above.
It could be that switch, or could be a bad ground or even a short.
Best thing, with your time so limited, is to first check that switch and the wires attached to it. Male sure they are clean, tight, and the wires have no missing or cracked insulation.
Don't just look at the connections, take them apart and check for corrosion
then reassemble them. Then test the switch itself. It does not 'send a signal',
it interrupts the voltage flow.
Good luck.