Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 11-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
lenkf

New member in SoCal

I just bought a 2009 GZ with 132 miles. It's black and looks like all the other black stock GZs so no picture for now The only "mod" I've done was to remove the rear seat. Obviously the first time it had been removed judging from the dust. It now has 325 miles. The oil is still clean and no cracks in tires. This is essentially a new bike so I'm riding it using break-in limitations. Had it up to 55mph cruising on back roads, but that's as fast as I'll take it now. The "safety" interlocks on this machine are different than my other moto so getting used to a different startup routine.

I'm surprised this little machine has so much power on a decent hill in 5th gear, and I weigh 200 lbs. The engine seems to have good power at low and high rpms. It has good acceleration from a stop light without getting into high rpms. Portrero Canyon Rd. in Ventura County is popular with bicyclists and motorcyclists. This GZ took me up the hill into Newbury Park as fast as I wanted to go with power to spare. I've looked around on the web and couldn't find any photos of the GZ head underside so I can see how it works.

I can understand why some have moved to a 16t drive sprocket as the gearing is a bit on the low side. But low gearing might work out for me if I put a sidecar on the GZ. The stock gearing seems like I could still cruise 60mph with the added weight and aero drag. I haven't found examples on the GZ250bike forum of others who have hacked the GZ250. If I go that route, I'll put up photo details of the attachment.

I know some might caution me about hacking the GZ, not enough power, dangerous right turns and poorer braking, poorer gas mileage, etc. For my mostly around town needs, a hacked GZ will offer more storage utility than smallish saddlebags and big backpack I've been riding a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 sidecar outfit for a couple years on the job as well as shopping (25mpg around town if I'm lucky). Also the occasional ride on Hwy 101 up and down the coast, into the mountains. The GZ will offer lots better mpg.

We don't need a motorcycle license in California for 3 wheel vehicles including motorcycles (the old "bubble cars" had 3 wheels and are still legal on the road). So, now I have a motorcycle learning permit and am practicing the "lollipop" on weekends at a nearby DMV. That's not an easy test even with a small motorcycle! The local motorcycle safety courses I've looked at have been so commercialized that they are really expensive, so I doubt I do that. (I took such a course a few decades ago so I could ride a motorcycle on a military base.) I just need to get used to 2 wheels again, or hack the GZ before my permit expires

I've ordered Suzuki saddlebag mounts and will get some larger size bags. May get a windscreen. I like the Slipstreamer SS28 with 4 mounts I think. With the back seat off, there's a really nice place to install some kind of mount for additional storage, but I haven't seen such an accessory mount on the net for that position (a home-made job?). I'll be looking for a seat cushion.

Thanks to the administrators of this forum for keeping it going. After studying the forum for weeks, I knew more about the GZ250 than the salesman at the Suzi motorcycle store I bought it from. I had also been looking at the Suzuki S40/Savage/LS650 bike but these are really rare on the used California market. It would be a better choice to hack. I decided the 250 would be the better choice for me now until I get my 2-wheelin chops back.

BTW, The Suzi TU250X is now for sale in California (modified to pass C.A.R.B. requirements), but I have not seen a single one in local Suzi motorcycle stores. Also it seems like the GZ250 is cancelled for 2012 in the US, I suppose replaced by the TU250X not in stores yet The bore/stroke on the TU250X is the same as the GZ250 so the bottom end of the engines may be the same. I haven't seen any decent comparisons of the GZ250 and TU250X.

Thanks again for all the good info here.

Fred Lenk

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Peachy140

Re: New member in SoCal

Welcome to the forum, you certainly seem to know your bike so Im sure you will be an asset to the community
Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
blaine

Welcome to the family. :cool:

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Hi Fred, glad to have you join us. Hacking a GZ might work for around town riding if you can find a light weight hack. The bike will need all the help it can get with an extra wheel and the added weight. I think the brakes might be a bit iffy but maybe, just maybe you can find a hack with a brake on it. Look at a Ural side car rig and see how it is put together with the hack brake working off the rear brake pedal. Quite simple in design and adjustable for braking performance to match the bike's rear brake.
Extra storage can be acquired in a number of ways. I put a trunk on Lynda's bike in place of the rear seat and it worked very well. It was only a 28 liter trunk, Alantf has a GZ with a much larger trunk for shopping and errands.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. My choice was to take the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course). I want to give myself the best chance I can on the road so it was no contest on taking the course. Can you really put a price on your own safety? Ride safe.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
alantf

[attachment=0:k6zb4d8a]b10.jpg[/attachment:k6zb4d8a]
Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
lenkf

Thanks all for the welcome. I did find a seat cushion today and that makes for a nicer ride. I also moved the handlebars forward a couple inches and adjusted levers/mirrors. Makes it a little more comfortable leaning into the wind at speed. No windshield yet.

Spent an hour this morning at the DMV practicing the cones and circles (the "lollipop").

Nice pics of some large storage trunks in the replies. Thanks for examples. I haven't found a decent backrest mount for a decent price yet on the net. Mediocre ones I've seen are over $200.

Water Warrior: My plan for a hack is to basically just get a frame onto which i can attach either a storage box for shopping/camping, or I could attach other items that wouldn't fit in a box (tuba case), or just attach ballast for cruising with minimum aero drag. I don't need a tub.

Fred
Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Ah, a 3rd wheel and a frame should make things a lot easier. A light tubing frame work could be very suitable with little drag in the wind. Years ago I met a fellow who had fashioned a flatdeck side rig for his wheel chair on a Honda 400 twin with an automatic tranny. He refused to stay home in a rocking chair.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
lenkf

Yah, I saw a "handicap" outfit at the SoCal Griffith Park sidecar rally, the rig totally operated from the car! Doug Bingham, Sidestrider.com, is considered "Mr. Sidecar" and has been organizing this biggest sidecar rally on the west coast for years. Funny thing is that so many 2-wheel motorcyclists come to the sidecar rally that there's not enough parking for them! It's interesting to walk thru the 2-wheelers parking area just to see their rigs, vintage, classic, and modern Doug originally setup my Kawasaki 1500 outfit for it's previous owner, and I go back to Doug when I need to. (not my GZ250 yet)