Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Vershay

Beginner and Need a Starter Bike!

Hey everyone! I've been wanting to get a motorcycle ever since I put a snow blower engine on a mini bike frame in high school! I'm going into my Junior year of college and looking for a starter bike! I'm working in Cincinnati this summer, go to school in Terre Haute, IN and visit home that is a little South from Chicago. Anyone have bikes for sale close to hear? I guess I have a million questions and don't know where to start so I guess I'll bullet some thoughts down and I appreciated all the help I can get!

-Gas millage on GZ250?
-Easy modifications for beginners?
-Insurance suggestions?
-Best place to get a bike trailer or hitch?
-Things also need besides helmet and jacket?
-Classes I should go to?
-Can practice driving without a proper license?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Beginner and Need a Starter Bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vershay
Hey everyone! I've been wanting to get a motorcycle ever since I put a snow blower engine on a mini bike frame in high school! I'm going into my Junior year of college and looking for a starter bike! I'm working in Cincinnati this summer, go to school in Terre Haute, IN and visit home that is a little South from Chicago. Anyone have bikes for sale close to hear? I guess I have a million questions and don't know where to start so I guess I'll bullet some thoughts down and I appreciated all the help I can get!

-Gas millage on GZ250?
Gas mileage will amaze you. The GZ is not a thirsty bike.
-Easy modifications for beginners?
Keep your bike as stock as possible for a while until you know what it is capable of doing. And no you can't add more ponies for little or no money. It has been tried.
-Insurance suggestions?
Liability ins. for sure. Maybe upgrade your health insurance as well..........you never know when riding a bike.
-Best place to get a bike trailer or hitch?
Clarify please, a trailer to haul the bike or trailer to pull with the bike ??
-Things also need besides helmet and jacket?
Good durable gloves, real protective boots in case of mishap, armored pants to go with an armored jacket. Oh yeah, eye protection no matter what. Wear "All The Gear All The Time". ATGATT.
-Classes I should go to? YES YES and YES. Take a riders course before getting on the bike to ride it. Learn good safe habits from an instructor before developing some bad unsafe habits of your own making. Also buy a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. He wrote the book on riding safely and properly. Worth it's weight in Gold.
-Can practice driving without a proper license?
Not a good idea from the get go. Classes and the "Book" will teach you what to practice and hone your new skills.

Oh yeah.....Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us and asked for pointers before going out to play in the traffic.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

1) Gas mileage ranges anywhere between 55-95mpg. Expect better on the highway. And I think 65 MPG is about the average. (My personal high was 95 {100% highway} and my average was 72 with a 16T sprocket and windshield)

2) There are a plenty of mods. Just check out the "How-to" forum.

3) All-State was cheapest for me. Get full coverage. Last thing you want is to be almost dead in hospital with no bike and only liabiliy coverage.

4) I'm not sure there is a bike trailer or hitch available for this bike, but you can certainly brainstorm something into being.

5) For lots of long distance commuting, I would recommend Helmet (full face), jacket, gloves, and boots. Some textile pants would serve you well too.

6) Your local MSF course would be great. Or have your best friend or dad or someone seriously teach you one on one for a few days.

7) Your first CM liscense will be a 6 month permit. After that, you will take the skills test and earn your full CM. The only draw back to a permit is that you aren't supposed to ride at night and you can't carry a passenger. (At least this is true for GA. I'm sure other states are similar.)

Old 08-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
5th_bike

Welcome to the forum ! :2tup:

For a bike I would check Craigslist, at the moment there are quite a lot for sale around here and I hope it's the same for you around Chicago or where you currently are. Search for "GZ250" and "GZ 250".
Old 08-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Vershay

Anyone know what insurance might cost if I get a GZ250, first time rider, and I'm 20?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
mole2

Quote:
Anyone know what insurance might cost if I get a GZ250, first time rider, and I'm 20?
Welcome to the forum from South Carolina.

Take the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course) and you'll get a break on your insurance. Not only that but you'll learn good habits and the proper way to ride. Learning from a friend or relative may leave you susceptible to bad (and dangerous) habits that will be hard to break at a later day. Not only that but many of the schools have the GZ as a bike to learn on. Insurance prices vary by region and what coverage you take. I have my V-Star 650 insured at the highest level with medical coverage for myself (to supplement my health care insurance) and it runs me $460 a year. I believe my GZ was around $350 if I remember correctly.

Ride safe.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Call the company that you have your car with an ask for a quote. They'll be able to give you much better information than we can.
Plus, most companies offer discounts for multiple policies.