Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
Shiverbird

Re: To Wide Of A Turn

I practiced in school parking lots, Churches, also we live in a quiet sub division with not much traffic and hubby placed buckets in the road to help with curves and weaving. Good Luck things will get better

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
Rookie Rider

I appreciate all of your help, for real !
Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Cut a bunch of tennis balls in half and build a parking lot course to practice on. Always look where you want to go as others have said. Target fixation can hurt or help. Looking at the 3rd lane will take you there.

:plus1:

Buy 2 packs of 3 balls each and cut them in half. I used a hacksaw to cut the ba$tard$ in half :tongue: This will give you plenty of markers. Or if you want, get some sidewalk chalk from Walmart or some such and draw circles instead of using the tennis ball halves. Also get a cheapy tape measure so you can measure out distances.

I've never been to Queens but there must be some malls around? Supermarkets? Go very early in the morning if you can. When you're in your car look around to see if you can find any good places. I just got my endorsement and I used this link to lay out a course in an elementary school parking lot. It was plenty big enough, no one there due to school being out for summer.

http://www.idahostar.org/guide/intro.htm

Double check their measurements as far as parking space width goes because for their 10 foot width, I measured only 8 feet. I practiced about an hour every day and got real comfortable riding at very slow speeds and making sharp turns which is very important for the skill test, in Vermont anyway. Of course that's where I screwed up was the weaving through the cones part. I ran over the first one and put my foot down. I was so dang :cuss: :cuss: :mad: I went through again just to prove that I could do it. Did the second time flawlessly but still had the points taken off which I rightly deserved. It was nice of the tester to let me do it though. Made me feel better. But anyway, practice your slow speed maneuvering as outlined in the link and it will help you in your riding skills on the street. It sure helped me and I'm still a rookie too.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
Rookie Rider

Hey thanks alot Way, i appreciate that idea(s)
Old 07-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
savrip

I just finished a MSF training course and man did it do a lot of good. It made me handle my bike in two days the way I would have never learned in weeks of practice. The best part it's on their bikes so drop it and it's what your cost covers (2 guys in my class dropped, everyone passed the test). I can't recommend this highly enough to beginning riders.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
Rookie Rider

High 5 savrip !!