Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
nahman

Help! My Bike is smoking.

Hey guys new to this forum and new to motorcycling. You guys seem like a great source of info some I'm coming with questions. So lets get too it.

Allright I purchased a 2002 Gz250 from a Msf school about two months ago. It has about 8,700 miles on it.I really didn't know much about bikes (still dont) so I didnt really look it over that well. Anyhow so yeah I bought it but I didnt drive it (it was soo cold). Last month during my spring break I started riding it though. I rode it for a while with no problems. Until the second day when after I warmed her up and rode for about five minutes it started to smoke. The smoke was white, I have a horrible sense of smell so I cant really describe the smell. Needless to say I became upset, until my friend pointed out there was no oil in the bike. I figured that was the problem and added oil (didnt change the filter though). Anyway I changed the oil and thought all would be good. It wasnt. Still until this day after about five minutes of riding the bike starts to smoke. What ever is happening doesnt seem to affect the bikes performance though because I rode it all the way from the Bronx to long island, and while and smoked and stunk it didnt conk out or any thing. I still ride it around campus also. Also yeah I forgot to mention theres this black gunk on the (Im not sure of the term, im a newb) I think its the carburetor, not sure where thats coming from...I'll post pics.

Oh and one more thing I found out why there was no oil in the bike originally, the bike has an oil leak. I put in a bottle of oil like four weeks ago and its empty again. Is it dangerous to ride with an oil leak? and how can I fix it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Help! My Bike is smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahman
Oh and one more thing I found out why there was no oil in the bike originally, the bike has an oil leak. I put in a bottle of oil like four weeks ago and its empty again. Is it dangerous to ride with an oil leak? and how can I fix it?
Given your stated (and apparent) level of skill and expertise with engines, I think it is safe to say the correct answer is: You can't.

Is it dangerous to YOU? Probably not.
Is it dangerous to the BIKE? Probably yes, but it might be just a hair away from total failure anyway.

Take it to a bike shop for an estimate. It's not gonna be good news.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:25 AM   #3
nahman

Crud...You really think so? Dam! So what about the smoking? Is there any idea whats up with that?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Your bike has not been taken care of. Looks like it could use new gaskets and a good freshening up.

Since you don't know much about bikes, any mechanic that you find will probably give you the runaround and overcharge you. However, if you plan on keeping the bike, it's better get it done right the first time. I would take it to your local Suzuki place and see what they say. Then, take it to a Mom-n-Pop bike shop and get their opinion.

You can also read upon how the bike works in the factory service manual that we have here on the site. It's indexed and printable.

I believe it's the first post in the general maintenance section.

Good luck,
Jonathan
Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Also, let's try something else.

Clean all of that oil off of your engine and make it nice and shiny. Spend some time on this and learn a bit about your bike while your at it. Then, as your motor leaks more oil, you'll be able to see where it is coming from.

This will at least let you know WHERE you have a problem.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahman
Crud...You really think so? Dam! So what about the smoking? Is there any idea whats up with that?
Sigh. Yes. Something inside the engine is "broken". Oil is getting to places it should not be getting to......or at least MORE of it is getting there that it should.

If you ride it much more it WILL become virtually worthless when the motor self-destructs.

ALL of your trouble might be just a blown head gasket, which is really not a huge deal on a thumper.