Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Nutterhead

Engine Bogs

Hello All, I recently moved up from my GZ250 and my new bike is a 1986 Honda Shadow 500. The guy I bought it from just put after market pipes on the bike and it tends to bog down if you give it to much gas. I know this isn't a GZ question but you all have been really helpful in the past. He said the carbs just needed adjusted, is this true? If so can anyone walk me through how? I think I know I just don't want to mess anythng up. Thanks!
2001 Suzuki GZ250

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Engine Bogs

It sounds like you may get away with a idle mixture adjustment.I'm not sure where the screws are located on your model,but they should be in front of the float bowls.Adjust in or out,with engine at operating temperature to,get the smoothest idle.Worst case,you may need to install larger main jets,but I doubt it,unless they opened the air intake also.Nice looking bike by the way.I love the look of the older bikes.I had the same mirrors on my G.Z. Good luck!
:rawk:

Old 06-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Nutterhead

Engine Bogs

This may sound like the dumbest question ever but I am still learning here. I found a small screw like thing by my carburetor is this what you are referring to? I imagine there is one on each carb and I should turn them both the same amount?
2001 Suzuki GZ250

Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterhead
This may sound like the dumbest question ever but I am still learning here. I found a small screw like thing by my carburetor is this what you are referring to? I imagine there is one on each carb and I should turn them both the same amount?
Yes,they should be about the same,Were ever the bike idles the best.If they are the proper screws,When you turn them in,the idle should start to be unever,turn them out slowly till the idle starts to roll,than about the middle of both extremes,where the idle is the smoothest.
:cool:

Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
geezer

lol blain hopefully he isnt talking about his sync screws! anyway, its a single? if i were you i would open up the carb go two sizes up on mains, shim the needle hopefully there are slots on the needles if no your gonna have to find some washers and then up your pilot jet 1 size, set your mixture screw to 2 1/2 turns out. this is over the internet advice and i have no idea exactly what the bikes like but thats a bench mark bro

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
lol blain hopefully he isnt talking about his sync screws! anyway, its a single? if i were you i would open up the carb go two sizes up on mains, shim the needle hopefully there are slots on the needles if no your gonna have to find some washers and then up your pilot jet 1 size, set your mixture screw to 2 1/2 turns out. this is over the internet advice and i have no idea exactly what the bikes like but thats a bench mark bro
He is a she,and she is just learning,and wanting to do things on her own.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
geezer

what am i doing wrong? if the he/she wants to do things on her own why is she on gz250 forum? shouldnt she be doing things on her own? amd another thing thats got me is why is she asking for advice if she is wanting to do this on her own? well i guess ill leave the profesional advice to you blaine, the only one on this site that knows anything.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
what am i doing wrong? if the he/she wants to do things on her own why is she on gz250 forum? shouldnt she be doing things on her own? amd another thing thats got me is why is she asking for advice if she is wanting to do this on her own? well i guess ill leave the profesional advice to you blaine, the only one on this site that knows anything.
I didn't say you were doing anything wrong.She is on this forum,because she started with a G.Z. and upgraded to the bike she has now.She was asking for some advice,so she could do the repair on her own.I was trying to answer her question,without confusing her or any beginner.What you stated is true if you done mods to the intake,but are usually not needed with a change of exhaust.
:skeptical: O_o

Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Geezer.............Heather just asked for some one to point her in the right direction. Any problems or experience she shares will help members who upgrade in the future.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
Nutterhead

Yeah I have no idea what Geezer is talking about ... I do want to learn how to do things on my own but we all need taught/help now and again ... I haven't made any adjustments yet ... I am kind of afriad I will mess it up ... I do not have the manual so I am currently looking for that before I mess with anything ...
2001 Suzuki GZ250