Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
tcrave

Found Another gz...is it a good deal?

I bought a 2000 gz250 a few weeks ago. It is in very nice condition, about 5,800 miles on it. Bought it for $1.200. I think I got a good deal on it. But, now I have found ANOTHER one. It is a 2001 gz250 with 3,050 miles on it. It is in great condition, looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Looks like the lade took really good care of it. It already has a windshield on it (something mine doesn't have). But, the lady wants $1,500 for it and is firm on the price. I have already looked at it before, but it wouldn't start because it had been sitting so long with untreated gas in it. It wouldn't start for anything, my gf's brother and I pushed the bike up and down the road many times trying to pop start it and just couldn't get it going. She said she bought a new batter for it and took it to the shop to get it tuned up and it starts every time now. I'm thinking about buying it and having his and hers bikes for my girlfriend and I, or buying it and selling my bike. The think I am concerned about is that it books for $1,400, but with a lot higher mileage. What do you think?

Here is my current bike:

Here is the bike I'm thinking about getting:

My bike has some scratches on the front and rear fender from being laid down, and it not in AS good of condition. It runs and drive fine, just isn't as cosmetically nice and has higher mileage.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Found Another gz...is it a good deal?

To get her down on the price, tell her it will cost another $1-200 or more for a shop to remove and clean the carb, drain the gas and fuel lines, and it may need a valve adjustment if she can't prove to you it had on one schedule. The tires are 10 years old and are unsafe due to their age and need to be replaced, at a shop price of another $150 or more, and maybe it needs front brake pads for yet another $50. So you would have to spend another $400 or more on top of what she is asking, and that's way too much for the bike, and tell her anyone else who sees it will say the same thing. Check the value on KBB and NADA for your area and see the retail and wholesale prices and show them to her.
From the pic you posted of her bike, there is also an engine guard/crash bar on it. That could have had a price tag of $150 originally, and the windshield could have been another $150, but don't tell her that. Accessories get depreciated in value too, but it will add somewhat to the purchase price of the bike.
Her price isn't really that bad but you could probably wiggle her down. You will have to replace the tires though if they are original, and yours too for that matter.
If you are lucky, fresh gas and some Berryman's B12 Chemtool. Seafoam, or Techron may solve your dirty carb problem.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
tcrave

Well, she said she is firm on the price now that she has had the work done. She said the carb has been cleaned and brand new spark plug and brand new battery. But, she said she had a friend do it, so there is no receipt...she also said it cost her $50....I have never heard of a carb cleaning costing $50. She said he took a look at the tank too and there wasn't any rust in it...which i find kinda hard to believe considering how long it had set for with bad gas. I mean, I guess if you gave a friend that is willing to do you a favor, it might be possible to get it done for $50.....but I don't know how to tell if she is telling the truth or not.

But, no paperwork makes me weary. For all I know, she could have just replaced the spark plug and it happens to run now and she might be bullcrapping me on the rest. She seems like a nice lady, but anyone can act nice for a sale. Plus, I don't really know how to tell if the carb is clean or not, I'm still a beginner.

I dunno, she said she is firm on the price, but its over KBB value. and WAY over NADA...but NADA quotes it at just over $1,000. No way would anyone sell a bike that nice for that low...hell, my bike is a 2000 (one year older) with double the mileage and I would not sell it for that low. I don't understand why NADA thinks they are only worth $1,000, thats pretty unrealistic.

Even though she said she is firm, I'm thinking about offering $1,400....tell her thats what it books for on KBB so thats what I will offer. But, do I really want to pay book for something that MIGHT need a carb cleaned? She said its been cleaned, but like I said, I don't know how to tell if she is bullcrapping or not.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
mrlmd1

Does it run smoothly, did you take it for a short ride? Did you check the date stamp on the tire sidewalls (a little rectangular box with month and year of manufacture) to see if they are 10 years old, original, and needing to be replaced? That is a bargaining chip.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Strelok

In my area of the country that's a good price.

Carb cleaning could be that cheap if it was done
by a Shade Tree Mechanic she was hooked up with.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:37 AM   #6
tcrave

Shade Tree? what do you mean by that? Meaning they didn't do it right? I dunno, I am half tempted to go check it out again and listen to it run. If it runs and drives better than the one I have, I'm thinking about buying it and selling the one I have. I'd like to keep em both, but I haven't been able to secure full-time employment yet (recent college grad) and don't need to be having that much money tied up in motorcycles right now. I paid 1200 for mine and in this prime time, I'm sure I could get at least that out of it...if not more if I really try. But, if she got a shit job on the carb done, then it could end up costing me more. One other thing I gotta look into though is that when I got the title transferred to my name, it cost me $120, plus like 40 for tax...don't want to have to spend that again.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:28 AM   #7
Strelok

A Shade Tree Mechanic means someone that doesn't actually have a Business
location or Building and they most likely do it at home out of their garage
or under the shade of a tree in their yard. It has nothing to do with the
quality of work or anything negative. It simply means without the
added expense of operating a legal business and paying lease
or cost of a building they are able to offer their services
at a lower price which might mean a $50 Carb Job.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok
A Shade Tree Mechanic means someone that doesn't actually have a Business
location or Building and they most likely do it at home out of their garage
or under the shade of a tree in their yard. It has nothing to do with the
quality of work or anything negative. It simply means without the
added expense of operating a legal business and paying lease
or cost of a building they are able to offer their services
at a lower price which might mean a $50 Carb Job.

I have to agree with you here. I was a mechanic who worked for a large corporation an did work on the side. I was a shade tree mechanic. I did quality work at a discounted price. I have no problem if someone says they had something done by a "friend" as long as I can look at the work.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
geezer

when i got my bike owner said he cleaned the carb, well during my test drive bike had no part throttle accel. once home with it i find a torn vacuum diaphram. i knew it before looking and used this to get the bike alot cheaper. haha