Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
bkrchic

Bike won't stay on

I have had my 04 GZ250 since last September, and this is my first major issue. I have had the bike out and running for 3 weeks this season on almost a daily basis. Fuel tank ran dry (see Petcock not working?) last week, but ran fine after refilling the tank and have put on 230kms since.

First try, bike would turn over and stay running for a couple of seconds before shutting off. This was with the choke open. Subsequent tries, bike still would turn over, but I had to hold the throttle open to keep it running. The moment I let it go, the bike would turn off. Now it just won't. Starter is working, but engine is not catching. Had to replace the battery, no change.

Smelled gas coming from under the seat, and found that there was a pool of gas in the air intake along with some black gummy/sticky residue closer to the carb.

I realize that this is a fuel flow issue, but could use some ideas/suggestions. Could this be related to the gas tank running dry? Or is the residue coming from something else? Is this something I can diagnose/fix myself or need more professional help? Am fairly handy, but not a mechanic.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Bike won't stay on

When you ran the tank dry,dirt got into the carburetor.The float in the carb is sticking and flooding the bike.The carb will need to come off for cleaning.You will need to drain(there is a plug on the bottom of the air box)and clean the air box.If the air filter got wet it will need to be replaced.Also you should change the oil,in case fuel contaminated it.When putting your carb back on,you should install a inline fuel filter so this don't happen again.
:cool:

Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
(there is a plug on the bottom of the air box)
This is quite correct, but I think it should be pointed out that the plug is actually in a tube connected to the airbox. If you look under the bike you'll see a tube with a plug, held by a circlip. Remove the clip, then the plug, & let it drain before replacing the plug & clip. :2tup:

Old 05-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
bkrchic

I will take this apart/clean this weekend. Thanks for all your input.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
mrlmd1

Why did you replace the battery? Couldn't you just charge up the old one?
What kind of new battery did you get? If you got an AGM type, which is standard for these bikes, you must fully charge it before the first time you use it or the battery is toast. It will never hold a full charge.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
bkrchic

I replaced the battery because it wouldn't hold a charge from the charger. Took it in and shop told me it was done as well. It is not an AGM battery, and yes it was fully charged before I put it on the bike.