Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
marmar

first 100 miles

Ok, since getting the bike about 2 weeks ago, I have been riding the back highways here im Temecula, CA. Couple of observations about my initial rides- the bike does everything I expected, its no jet bike, but I bought it to relearn riding and eventually commute on it. I picked up shifting a lot faster than I expected, as the bike is very forgiving. The bike is a bit slow uphill, but I attribute most of that to me being 230 lbs. Today I topped out at 73 mph (with a little throttle left) while out in wine country on a flat road. If anyone can help me with a question on whether or not changing to the 16 tooth front sprocket will give me a bit more top end (i have read arguments for and against) I would appreciate it. Like i said, I plan on commuting (80 miles round trip a day, and most of that is back highway, but I would like to feel comfortable getting on the I-15 for a bit without feeling like I have to ride on the shoulder. That's it for now, overall this bike is doing awesome, I am trying to plan my first 50 mile plus day trip for sometime next week, I'll post on when and where i go.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
blaine

Re: first 100 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmar
If anyone can help me with a question on whether or not changing to the 16 tooth front sprocket will give me a bit more top end (i have read arguments for and against) I would appreciate it.
By putting on the 16t sprocket,You will drop the RPM's.You will not increase the top end,because the bike doesn't have the power to use the top end.But your bike will rev less and makes the lower gears more useable.I had the 16t sprocket on and didn't consider going back to stock.
:cool:

Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
geezer

well i installed a 140 rear tire today and supposedly thats like installing a 16 tooth sproket, i can tel you on flat hyw im able to do 65 70 easier for sure but it realy looses its torque, i also messed with my carbs the otherday and so far i feel like i wouldve been better off leaving it stock, with 15 hp to the wheel doing anything to this bike is like pissing in the wind, rode the little bastard 300miles today and boy does that take it out of you

Old 05-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
well i installed a 140 rear tire today and supposedly thats like installing a 16 tooth sproket, i can tel you on flat hyw im able to do 65 70 easier for sure but it realy looses its torque, i also messed with my carbs the otherday and so far i feel like i wouldve been better off leaving it stock, with 15 hp to the wheel doing anything to this bike is like pissing in the wind, rode the little bastard 300miles today and boy does that take it out of you
Installing the 140 tire is about half way between a 15t & a 16t sprocket.When you adjusted your carb,what did you do?If you adjusted the pilot jet (idle mixture) that only affects the idle.When adjusted properly your bike will idle smoother & more consistently.
:2tup:

Old 05-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
marmar

thanks for the quick info Blaine, I think I will run it stock for a few months, then try the 16t sprocket, my brother who races flattrack in NORCAL wants to come down and cut the airbox, rejet the carb and do a bunch of other stuff he says will give a bit more oomph, but all I really care about is not voiding my 4 year unlimited mileage warranty :2tup: I would like the bike to have a bit more power, but if it doesnt get there I will still love this bike.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmar
my brother who races flattrack in NORCAL wants to come down and cut the airbox,
No need to cut the air box as there are aftermarket filters that flow much more air.This one is for a GS-500 but is a bolt in,and much cheaper than the factory one.
HIFLO-FILTRO-HAF 3503.
:cool:

Old 05-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
cayuse

I've recently installed the 16T sprocket and I LOVE what it does to all the gears (except 5th). 1st is usable to get through an intersection, rather than just to get moving off the line. 2,3 and 4 just seem to be more friendly for accelerating around town and onto the highway. 5th is pretty gutless and is only useful as a cruising overdrive. I don't expect to accelerate anymore in 5th unless the road is flat or downhill and there is no headwind. That said, it's fine as an overdrive.
The limit is engine power. It just doesn't have enough to really move out on the big highways. I don't have any trouble in 65mph traffic, but if I had to commute at 75mph to keep up with traffic, I'd pick another route or another vehicle. Actually in my area rush-hour traffic is so congested the highway traffic rarely reaches the speed limit so it's not an issue.
Because of the friendlier lower gears I will not be going back to 15T.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
geezer

blain me and you had a discution on this on my thread dude. did 122.5 main needle shim and screw adjustment
Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Marmar, do not cut or drill the air box. On a GZ the air flows differently than most vehicles. The airbox must remain sealed as designed.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
cayuse

Yes, if you simply cut or drill holes into the airbox you'll just be bypassing the filter.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA