Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Dickey

Is this amount of play in the rear hub normal? (video)

This afternoon I rode the bike down the street and back to see how I felt about some new goggles. That was the first time I'd ridden without a helmet and the rear sprocket was making all kinds of racket that I'm not convinced is normal. I brought the bike back in the shop and took a quick video of the chain. There are definite clicks that are audible in the video from the chain/sprocket interaction and there is some play from the sprocket hub to the wheel, which I did my best to demonstrate. The bike is on the stand so I can clean and tighten the chain but the sprocket bit is unnerving and I want to make sure I'm not inviting trouble.

The video is an MP4 and can be found:

http://www.dickeysgarage.com/video/chainslack.mp4

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Is this amount of play in the rear hub normal? (video)

I can't play your video.But some play in the hub is normal,about 1/4 inch back & forth.If your chain is making a lot of noise & jumping,rotate slowly and look for a seized link from lack of lubrication.
:cool:

Old 04-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Dickey

Thank you. The chain clicking noise is completely gone now that I've cleaned the chain and put some gear oil on it. The play with the hub is about 1/4" as you say so that's good to know.

Now I have a new problem. The ignition cuts off as soon as I put the bike in gear. I have no idea what I've done to mess that up. So far as I recall, I did not touch any wires and it doesn't feel like there is a clutch issue as I can do it with the rear tire suspended and it doesn't try to turn or anything. Looks like I'll be spending some time with the owner's manual, hehe.

// and now just learned about the kick stand safety switch, so there that is and I'm smarter now.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickey

// and now just learned about the kick stand safety switch, so there that is and I'm smarter now.
There you go. :neener: :rawk:

Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

There can be a little play in the rear sprocket to rear wheel mating. There are rubber cushions in the hub that compress and eventually wear. When you remove the back wheel and pull off the sprocket /hub you will see them. If they are worn enough to fall out by themselves it is time to replace them.
Yup you found the side stand safety switch alright. They are a good thing overall.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
mrlmd1

The side stand safety switch is on almost every bike made in the last 10-20 years and is there for a reason - It is to prevent you from riding off with the side stand down because if you make a left turn the stand may hit the ground and pivot the bike up off the rear wheel and you will get dumped.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Dickey

No worries about the safety switch guys. It is on the bike and works as it should. I've just not ever run across such a thing is all. Excluding my 3-wheeler, the last motorcycle I've owned was 12 years ago and it was a 1981 model which did not have such a kill switch. I used to put that bike up on a floor jack and use a 4x4 under the kick stand to do any work involving the rear hub. While I had it in the air, I would run the bike in first gear and rev it a bit to make sure the chain sounded correct before letting it back down and carrying on with my day. I won't be doing that with the 250, no big thing.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

You can run the GZ in gear with the side stand down. I did it to lube the chain. All you need is a really strong elastic band to hold in the plunger on the side stand safety switch. Velcro the front brake and put a stick under the right side of the swing arm to lift the rear wheel an inch.