Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #31
burkbuilds

Re: Replacing chain with new sprockets question

I've had a chance to check my fuel mileage more since I changed over the rear sprocket, seems to be doing about 55 mpg in mixed driving now, which is about 4 mpg more than I was getting in mixed driving, so that's pretty much what I was shooting for maybe even a little more than I expected. Overall, I'm very pleased with the new gear ratio, and I'm loving that loobman chain oiler! Easy to use, convienient, seems to work really well at getting the oil onto the chain and probably about 1/10th of the sling off I used to get after I'd oil the chain! Not a bad way to spend $29, delivered.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Sounds good BB. Sounds like a win win mod.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #33
burkbuilds

Update on the Loobman Chain Oiler.

I just noticed that it has been about a year from my last post about this product, so it seems like a long enough time to give a good assessment.

I gotta say, I am very pleased with this product. It works well, it is easy to use, it is durable and inexpensive. I now have over 32,000 miles on the OEM Chain and it is still in good condition, the sprockets are not visibly worn and the chain seldom needs any adjustments. I was not expecting my chain to last anywhere near this long and I certainly did not think it would be in good shape with this many miles on it. I've got to credit the loobman for the longevity of the chain. I've seldom heard of anyone getting this many miles out of a chain and have it still be in good shape. I ride year round in all types of weather so the chain gets exposed to the elements and since I installed the loobman I have only done about three cleanings. Before I installed it, I was cleaning it and oiling the chain manually pretty much every weekend or at least every other weekend. I get very little sling off of the oil with the loobman, which is nice. I just use pretty much whatever is handy for oil, either motor oil or differential 80w-90w oil. The thick stuff really takes a while to work down through the tubing to the chain, so I usually mix it with 10w-40 to get it to flow better.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #34
Water Warrior 2

Wow, that is a lot of mles on a OEM chain. Seems like the oiler is a definite plus for saving money and down time with repairs. I have read a number of reports on various chain oiling systems and the Loobman seems to be the least expensive and easy to use without getting too involved with electronics, timers and complexity.