Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
mrlmd1

Re: no start - electrical problem

Have you fully charged up the battery since this started? Checked the battery connections for corrosion?
Did this happen suddenly one day, ie, it was OK the day before it wouldn't start, or was the bike sitting for a long time not being used?
Does the battery voltage drop from 12.5 to 11.5v as soon as you turn the key to the ON position, or when you hit the start button?
It sounds to me like you have a dead battery and you should attend to that before you start ripping the bike apart and looking for something more exotic. The voltage drop is probably just from the lights being on when you turn on the key. If you measure the voltage when you hit the start button, it probably drops to 8-10 and will not turn over the starter. Charge up the battery and see what happens.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #12
bonehead

A fully charged battery should be upwards around 13v. I'd start with a charge and see if that does'nt get it going. If you still have problems, PM me and I might be able to meet you in Austin and take a look at it.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
Rick

Well, here's an example of why I don't think it's the battery. Yesterday morning, appx. 46 degrees, starts right up. I ride it 45 miles to Austin and park it. Four hours later it's about 65 degrees, I go to start it, and nothing. So I push start it and drive it across Austin and park it again. Tested the starter right then and nothing. Another four hours go by, and it's about mid forties (nine at night), and starts right up, no problem. Ride the 40 miles home. What happens today is anyones guess. I haven't had time the past few days but I guess I just need to go down the line and test every connection.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Rick, sounds like a temperature sensitive loose connection. Start with the battery connections and go from there.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Rick, sounds like a temperature sensitive loose connection. Start with the battery connections and go from there.
Yes BUT nothing he described indicates in any way that it might not still be the battery itself.

There are connections INSIDE the battery.....and at the base of the posts.....that can go bad too.

HE NEEDS A METER TO FIND THE PROBLEM. Without that, it's all just guess work and the odds are overwhelming that the proper first guess would be the battery.......after checking the connections, that is. :biggrin:

Old 12-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #16
Rick

good point. I'll check the battery again and the connections. Then I'll start working my way down the line with a meter.

thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
good point. I'll check the battery again and the connections. Then I'll start working my way down the line with a meter.
The point **IS** that you won't prove anything by "checking the battery" unless you do that while it is in "failure mode".

Unless you have someone else to help you, a set of aligator clips for your meter leads will be very helpful.......since you need to connect the + lead to various points WHILE you are also trying to start it.