Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
franciscoe

bike turns on but when pull on the throttle Nada!

Just got a gz 250 and the bike fires up but when you give the throttle power the bike turns off automatically. The PO put a new batter in the bike it was sitting for a 1 1/2 yr. Reading the treads is it the spark plugs? Cab? Some one please point me to the right direction.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: bike turns on but when pull on the throttle Nada!

How long has it been since it was last running? If it has sat a while, see all the other threads on this topic. If it were me, I'd let it run for ten minutes or more without touching the throttle and then I'd experiment to see if really hitting it worked or if gently increasing it worked. Also, you don't mention what you are doing re choke. You might need to choke it all the way for the first few minutes - or longer.

In many cases, you can cure I've-been-sitting-around-a-while-itis by just cajoling a tankful of gas through the carb. If it's been sitting a while, this can take some patience and experimentation with the choke and the throttle.

There's a host of other issues (crap in the tank, crap in the carb, bad plug, bad petcock, broken vacuum hose, clogged air filter, bad float, bad gas, etc.) that this won't fix - but this is the most common problem encountered with the GZ.

Good luck - let us know how it comes out.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
alantf

You'll have to excuse me if I'm going off at the wrong angle but do you think that it could be shutting off when you put it into gear? If you put it in gear with the side stand down, it's meant to cut out.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
If you put it in gear with the side stand down, it's meant to cut out.
That's why 10 heads are better than one.

Since it appears there might be a slight terminology problem, that is WELL worth mentioning.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
In many cases, you can cure I've-been-sitting-around-a-while-itis by just cajoling a tankful of gas through the carb. If it's been sitting a while, this can take some patience and experimentation with the choke and the throttle.
And in almost ALL the cases, the above works better and faster if you use some carb cleaner in with the gas. Less patience and experimentation required and quicker results........almost always.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
b1pig

i had a '84 750 Interceptor a while back. it was cantankerous as hell. that bike acted the same way when you first started it. it would fire up and idle high. any touch of the throttle and the engine would die. trying to add little increments did not good... repeating multiple times. with that bike, i found that the best cure was to let it idle for a minute. if it wanted to act stupid, i rapidly cracked the throttle near wide open. by the 2nd or third time, it revved willingly and ran great.

by pulling the throttle open, if lets the vacuum of the engine pull fuel through the carb faster than "waiting" for it to get there... if it gets there. if you read the other threads in here, you'll find that the carb on this bike is a finicky little peice that does not like any contamination at all.