Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #21
68vette

Re: Speedo Light Out.

I am really new here but...will chime in...have built two street rods from the ground up...looks like it would be easier to to take the top headlight bolt out and loosen the bottom bolt and then tilt the headlight down...then you have good access to the speedometer....and much easier to change the bulb...mine is out also...so will be doing this in a week or so...

Jimmy in NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig
is the bulb a 195?
i bought a 2000 ZX7 last year. half the bulbs in the cluster were out and i could only read from 110mph up... :skull:

anyway, i pulled the cluster and removed all the bulbs. replaced them with the amber 4 LED bulbs from AutoZone. cluster is clearly legible and is not too bright. if its a 195 bulb, i highly recommend it.
Do the LED replacements fit and work with no other modification needed?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #23
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Quote:
is the bulb a 195?
i bought a 2000 ZX7 last year. half the bulbs in the cluster were out and i could only read from 110mph up... :skull:

anyway, i pulled the cluster and removed all the bulbs. replaced them with the amber 4 LED bulbs from AutoZone. cluster is clearly legible and is not too bright. if its a 195 bulb, i highly recommend it.
Do the LED replacements fit and work with no other modification needed?
In my case I used brighter bulbs not L.E.D.s :rawk:

Old 10-21-2010, 02:34 AM   #24
chandlerbingfl

My bulb went out as well and have not had time to replace it.....What I did was get some glow in the dark paint and marked long lines at the 10s and short lines at the 5s. I don't ride much after dusk and more often than not this little trick does the job...

When I get around to replacing the bulb I'll just remove the paint...

chandlerbingfl
Old 10-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #25
b1pig

i dont think the LEDs were that much brighter than standard bulbs on my ZX-7, but the amber is FAR easier to read. in my experience, red looks nice, but isnt always as easy to read at a glance. less of an issue with the GZ since there isnt much in the way of lighting. only one gage with a sweep needle. another reason i stay away from red gage lighting is so i can immediately recognize an idiot light if it comes on and it not blend in.

for constant lighting such as a non-flashing marker light or backlighting for an instrument... if the bulb is a 194 and you replace it with a LED 194, no modification is needed at all. if you replace your turn signals, the resistance is different and will cause a super-rapid flash signal and you'd have to install an inline resistor to level that out.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
i dont think the LEDs were that much brighter than standard bulbs on my ZX-7, but the amber is FAR easier to read. in my experience, red looks nice, but isnt always as easy to read at a glance. less of an issue with the GZ since there isnt much in the way of lighting. only one gage with a sweep needle. another reason i stay away from red gage lighting is so i can immediately recognize an idiot light if it comes on and it not blend in.

for constant lighting such as a non-flashing marker light or backlighting for an instrument... if the bulb is a 194 and you replace it with a LED 194, no modification is needed at all. if you replace your turn signals, the resistance is different and will cause a super-rapid flash signal and you'd have to install an inline resistor to level that out.
Inline resistors are a waste of a lot of money and time. Pick up an electronic auto flasher and use it to control the flash rate.