Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
UH40

Re: AGM Battery???

Agreed to all comments - however I have experience in this sort of thing with all these elitrizicalz kinds of stuffs (spelling meant to be humours )

I am going to make a physical inspection 1st - the makeshift-semi-permanent - amp meter installation is to watch only when I hit a bump.

I was sure in the back of my mind that the AGM properties of the battery was not the issue, but had been second guessing myself - and the knowledge of the group vastly outweighs the knowlegde on the one !!!

One thing I find that may be a commonality is that when I ride on the back seat is when I seem to blow the fuse <------- correct spelling this time do I get a prize?? - but I have not paid attention enough to see if that is the trend yet...

Side note: This is a GREAT!! FORUM!! there is much going on and lots of participation -

-=UH40=-

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
alanmcorcoran

UH, Usually I'm neither the nitpicker nor the spelling monitor (I am actually a champion speller, however, I am a sucky typist) but it occurred to me that I thought I'd read other threads re your topic. That's when it dawned on me that your would not be found unless someone in the thread spelled fuse right. So... You are welcome! Also, I congratulate myself for not having imagined Sarris's post. (My memory is also pretty sucky and I no longer trust it.)

Good luck with the troubleshoot - please post your progress, these sorts of things can sometimes be very instructive for the rest of us.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
UH40

Alan - I was just teasing - as you guys get to know me better - you will hopefully catch my sense of humor - I try to be funny alot, even though I am or should say rather - have been told that I was not good at it - LOL

You will never find a post where I am ugly or offensive to anyone - Thats just not me - hehe

Ride Safe - UH40 -

Old 08-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by UH40
I am going to make a physical inspection 1st - the makeshift-semi-permanent - amp meter installation is to watch only when I hit a bump.

One thing I find that may be a commonality is that when I ride on the back seat is when I seem to blow the fuse
I'd like to hear how you are going to connect said ammeter so that it doesn't "see" the starter current. If, for instance, you put it in place of the main fuse, then THE METER will become the fuse.......at a capacity probably a LOT higher than the fuse itself. While that might actually find the short when you see smoke and sparks.......it really isn't a good way to go about it !!! :shocked: :biggrin:

IIRC, there are some wires under the back seat......and running down both sides. If you haven't had the seat off lately, there might be a fairly obvious wire bunch that is pinched when the seat is in place. Also with your butt on the back seat, your hands are probably pushing on the bars differently...........????
Old 08-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

IIRC, there are some wires under the back seat......and running down both sides.
Yes, they go to the rear lights & indicators, but they're hidden (under the mudguard I think) otherwise they'd be on show when you ride without the rear seat. So I don't think that the rear seat could trap them. :2tup:

Old 08-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf

Yes, they go to the rear lights & indicators, but they're hidden (under the mudguard I think) otherwise they'd be on show when you ride without the rear seat. So I don't think that the rear seat could trap them. :2tup:
They are under the chrome trim,tied to the frame rails
:2tup:

Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #17
b1pig

dumb question... well. not really. :poke2:

since i'm at work and have no access to the bike, what does the 20 amp fuse go to? the problem will be between the fuse and whatever it serves.

as stated before, whatever is causing the short can be intermittent enough that it only is active long enough to blow the fuse. an example would be.. if it were for the headlight, has the headlight been upgraded to a higher output?

if its a bulb, i'd replace it and take that as an opportunity to inspect the connections and wire harness.

most things work at a constant load. others dont.
also, remember that as current flow goes up, the wire heats up. heat will tend to slow current flow, so the draw can increase.... the vicious cycle begins... and blown fuse. the cause of this can be a burned/overheated plug or connector. saw this in several locations when rewiring a fire truck's emergency lighting a cpl of years ago.

HTH.