Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
blaine

Re: Oil Leak / Cylinder gasket replacement?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

I agree that the estimated repair price is very reasonable, to the point that it should be documented......AND specifically understood that you will get a whole new gasket and not just some RTV shoved in the crack.
:plus1:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
JarredD

Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it!

Since this is my only way to get to work and back for now, I guess I will ride it for the next week until I can get it fixed next weekend. Almost every local shop that I called is closed this weekend because of some event in the area.

I'll let you know what exactly needs to be fixed to stop the leak and hopefully help anyone else with this issue.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarredD
Since this is my only way to get to work and back for now, I guess I will ride it for the next week until I can get it fixed next weekend.
I don't know how it works in your area but shops around here don't work on weekends......and the 4 hours or so they spend on fixing it might need to be spread over several days.

You need to call in advance to make the necessary arrangements......and then you should know if you need alternative transportation for a couple of days or not.

In the meantime, keep a close eye on that oil level......and keep the rev's down a bit as that should help minimize the leakage.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
GTGZ

I would not ride the GZ until it's fixed, the front left cylinder stud hole is also the oil feed to the top of the cylinder head. If whats left of the gasket lets go there goes your engine!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
JarredD

So, got the bike back from the shop yesterday. They gave me my old gasket and it looked pretty terrible. You can clearly see how it was installed wrong. The mechanic says it looks like the original from the factory. I'll post a pic in a bit and show you what I mean.

Anyway, he went over a few things on the bike and then I hopped on and took off (I had an appointment to get to). Once I got there I realized the petcock was set on PRIME. So I switched it over to ON and after about 30 seconds, the bike died. Tried to restart, only turned over with no start. Switched back to PRIME, started right up.

I am going to call the shop and having him take care of it as this was not an issue prior to them having my bike, but I was wondering if anyone has insight as to what could be causing this... He had to remove the tank to fix my cylinder gasket, could a hose be connected wrong? or something simple?
Thanks,

Jarred

Old 09-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
Sarris

Check that the vacuum hose is connected (or not cracked) to the back of the petcock, as it wont run with a vacuum leak or disconnected hose.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
JarredD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Check that the vacuum hose is connected (or not cracked) to the back of the petcock, as it wont run with a vacuum leak or disconnected hose.

Thanks for the tip. Found a small crack in the vacuum hose right at the petcock connection.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarredD
Thanks for the tip. Found a small crack in the vacuum hose right at the petcock connection.
Also PRIme is roughly equivalent to REServe.......so you might just be low on gas too.