Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
alantf

Re: STEERING problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimartina
However the tires that are on it call for front=35 rear 40.
Are you QUITE sure that these figures aren't the MAXIMUM that these tyres are designed to take. Check out the plate on the left of the bike, under the chain guard. This tells you what Suzuki recommends. I know that I certainly wouldn't want to ride with pressures that high.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
However the tires that are on it call for front=35 rear 40.
No they don't.

Those pressures listed ON THE TIRE are the maximum safe operating pressure for the tire.......and has no bearing on the PROPER pressure in this application.

If you exceed the Suzuki recommended pressure by more than 3-4 lbs, the ride will be rough, your contact patch will be smaller (less traction) and the tire will wear out quicker in a stripe right down the middle. NOT GOOD.

Seems like I remember running 28 front and 30 rear but it's best to go by the sticker on the swing arm or chain guard and not go more than 3-4 lbs higher.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
Viirin

Man that's high pressure - 2 days ago i put my front tire up to the Suzuki recommended pressure and it was like riding on glass - really didn't feel safe because the bike was steering too easily so i took it down a notch - what are you measuring the pressure in? ppsi or bars or what?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
mrlmd1

Are the recommendations for tire pressures by Suzuki applicable to every tire manufactured, or do different manufacturer's recommendations because of different formulations of sidewall construction and tread have anything to do with it? What is being said is that ALL tires should be inflated to Suzuki's standards, not to the tire's characteristics per se? Isn't it possible that if his tires were very "soft" because of age or degeneration of sidewall cords, that couldn't have contributed to hard steering, as evidenced by the fact it got easier when they were inflated to a higher pressure? I always found my bike to be squirelly or squirmy on the road if the tire pressure was low, and that's one way to find out that they are low. Just curious.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
bonehead

The only max pressure I saw was the mounting and seating the bead max pressure. It read do not inflate over 40 psi to seat bead. I am currently running owners manual pressure in my new tires and it seems to be fine.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I always found my bike to be squirelly or squirmy on the road if the tire pressure was low, and that's one way to find out that they are low. Just curious.
I always run my tires at 30 psi.If I run them lower I find the handling squirrelly,any higher the ride was rough.I run the same air pressure in my kawasaki as I ran In theG.Z.Rear tire is 140-90/15 the front is a 100-90/19.

:2tup: :roll:

Old 09-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. I have new tires that will be here Wednesday and after I get the tires aired up properly I will see if it made a diff and report back. Thanks again.
Once the new tires are on you can experiment with pressures. Lynda's GZ work well with the tires set at 28 front and 33 rear. This was with OEM tires. This was with or without being loaded with gear for travelling. Tire wear was minimal.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Are the recommendations for tire pressures by Suzuki applicable to every tire manufactured, or do different manufacturer's recommendations because of different formulations of sidewall construction and tread have anything to do with it?
Yes and no, in that order.

Tires from different mfg's are not THAT much different and Metzler seems to the the ONLY tire maker that tries to give specific recommendations for tire/bike combinations.

Even Metzler ends up saying: If you don't find your bike in our tire charts, then use the original pressure recommendations.