Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Attention Campers: Sleeping Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
I toyed with the idea of camping on my impending trip to Colorado, but I tend not to sleep very well when camping out, so I opted for hotels instead. The above notwithstanding, if I were to camp out on a motorcycle trip these would be my options:

1) Sleeping bag (as opposed to blankets). I'd go with the lightest synthetic (not down) 25-30 degree bag I could afford.
2) Sleeping pad - Therm-a-rest pads are the way to go. Heavy, but well worth their weight. The thicker the better - I think the Expedition is their thickest.
3) Tent / Tarp - I've tried using a tarp, but it's a little too buggy for me. Plus you typically need hiking poles to double as tent poles. There are plenty of 1 - 2 man backpacking tents. I recommend something that has at least sitting height. I have a 1-man backpacking tent that does not have sitting height and, although small and light-weight, it is awkward getting in and out and difficult to get dressed in.
I'm kind of in the same boat - It's hard for me to sleep even when in a nice bed. I'm thinking i might try having the gear, and if it ends up sucking, just hitting the cheap hotels. Or alternating. It always sounds more romantic talking about it than actually doing it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I'm kind of in the same boat - It's hard for me to sleep even when in a nice bed. I'm thinking i might try having the gear, and if it ends up sucking, just hitting the cheap hotels. Or alternating. It always sounds more romantic talking about it than actually doing it. Thanks for the suggestions.
Hey, if you want, you can try my thick and/or thin Thermarest pads (take a nap on your living room floor) and see if they work for you.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Hey, if you want, you can try my thick and/or thin Thermarest pads (take a nap on your living room floor) and see if they work for you.
How small do they get? I've toyed with the idea of trading the GZ for a Beemer but in all probability I'll be taking the Strat, which is not equipped with much luggage carrying capability. I've got two large but oddly shaped saddlebags and probably will bungie a duffle on the passenger pillion. I'm thinking a tent, a bag and thermarest and I've already greatly exceeded any clean carrying capability. camping is usually more fun if you have some toys (like a little lantern, a little stove, a chair, and so on.)

My living room has deep pile carpet and no sharp rocks, so it'd hardly be a fair test. But I appreciate the offer. I assume they have these at REI...

Old 07-23-2010, 02:41 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Hmmm, Alan it sounds like you need a reasonably equiped Vstrom for travelling. You can pack it like a mule and still be comfy. A.K.A. the poor man's BMW. Works for me.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
Moedad

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
My living room has deep pile carpet and no sharp rocks, so it'd hardly be a fair test. But I appreciate the offer. I assume they have these at REI...
You could sprinkle some rocks in your kitchen and nap in there. :poke2:

Yes, REI has a wide range of Thermarest pads.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Moedad

Quote:
How small do they get?
They have different widths and thickness. My backpacker unit rolls up into a 3" dia. (maybe a smidge less) x 24" roll. The fat one rolls up about 5" dia. x 18" roll (it's narrower than the other).
Old 07-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Hmmm, Alan it sounds like you need a reasonably equiped Vstrom for travelling. You can pack it like a mule and still be comfy. A.K.A. the poor man's BMW. Works for me.
Ha ha ha,,,
My TW200 is the poor man's VStorm...
I couldn't stop laugh when I see your comments.
I don't think that VStorm is poor man's bike at all.... ^^;

@Mr. Alan.
IMHO, after you have gotten all the camping gears, JUST TRY (practice) to pack them on your bike; then little test riding.
You might find some better packing methods for your gears and bike EACHTIME you are packing and/or what to pack or not to pack.

After some touring with many gears packed, you may find more about what to pack/not to pack... ha ha ha (from my experiences)
However, I try to pack as many essentials as possible >> it's my personality. (too much worry.. ^^; even though I do know some of them might not need for the touring.

P.S.: My next gear packing method for bike touring might end-up with kind of Hard Panniers (or, good hard saddle bag). Your bike has one already ??? Try it and you may find some good implementation for your saddle bags.