Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
yathauser

new rider of a used gz

kinda wrote off the gz when i started looking at commuter bikes in november but warmed up to it recently, and got comfortable on one during the msf basic course (i got "stuck" with the only gz there). won an ebay auction and got a great deal on a low-mileage 2008.
mods so far: cargo net install and turn-signal indicator bulb upgrade (running 161's, boiii!) :lol:
no pretty pics of my as-yet unnamed gz, but since it's forum-appropriate, here's me on my school bike:
[youtube:2ubnneau]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWdVnRwjgf4[/youtube:2ubnneau]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: new rider of a used gz

Pretty exciting maneuvers! Don't overload yer juice draw with the fancy bulbs.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by yathauser
no pretty pics of my as-yet unnamed gz,
Welcome!

I was going to ask "Springfield, what" but that video looks like the back lot at the Illiniois State fairgrounds, right ??

I lived there for about 25 years; I try to make the bike races each spring and fall but my schedule this year is kind of complicated and I might miss one or both.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
yathauser

i think the 161 wedge bulb draws less (so not so much of an upgrade, i suppose) than the 158... pepboys didn't have any 158's in stock, and i have a problem remembering to cancel my turn signals... the idiot light, now that i have a working bulb in, isn't too much help there... :roll:

not springfield, illinois... springfield, virginia. the video is at a parking lot at george mason university in fairfax, va. pretty busy there for a sunday, i think the circus was at the patriot center on campus.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
mole2

Welcome aboard. The one you rode at the MSF BRC course looks like mine.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Two years in and I still leave the turn signal on about half the time. I have learned to check for it at all of the points in my commute where it could incite someone to turn in front of me. There have been posts about beepers and other remedies - I fixed the problem on the Strat - it turns 'em off for me.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
There have been posts about beepers and other remedies -
I re-attached my beepers to the Honda yesterday. It is MUCH more useable with the (-) lead connected to the brake light. All the connectors are right there together; don't remember if they are on the GZ or not.

Now I just need to get a set of louder beepers !!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
yathauser

i think i'll have to do something about the signals... i kind of randomly stab at the turn signal button, just in case, and too many times it'll click the blinkers off because they've been left on for god-only-knows how long... not really trained to look at the indicator, as the school bike didn't have blinkers, and the bulb was already burned out when i picked the bike up (with 528 miled on the odometer!). i don't really check my speed, as i'm usually on surface streets and generally go along with other traffic. but with the exception of two really obnoxious tailgaters, people generally give me a wide berth (maybe it's the temporary tags, they know i'm a newbie? :lol: )

my bike is very much like the bike in the video... except now debadged... :cool:
Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I installed beepers on the GZ, but with the other bikes, I made myself get into the habit of pushing the turn signal button (canceling) with almost every gear shift. I've occasionally left them on by being negligent, but most of the time, they're off before I even complete my turn.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
yathauser

i was thinking of beepers (from the other posts), "canceling" with every shift sounds good, too. this morning on my commute in, i just used the turn signal as little as possible, lol (like not signalling to slide into a dedicated turn lane, and not signaling while waiting in a turn-only lane, etc). used it a few times to change lanes. checked the indicator light more often, too, i really hate riding miles and miles with the blinker going. :roll: