Re: Ironic accident...

LOL, yeah I bet you would.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Speaking for myself, I'd be in favor of developing softer racquets.

Go for it. A little research and design................oh forget it, you just get a very large fly swatter.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
BusyWeb

It might be hurting...
Did you say that you ran a couple of more rounds after inccidents??? ha ha ha

Hope getting well soon!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyWeb
Did you say that you ran a couple of more rounds after inccidents???
Yeah, my initial thought was "I'm done, hope I didn't just lose an eye." But after I calmed down a bit I started thinking, "Darn, my little fitness/weight loss program is going to take a hit... and I just wasted eighteen bucks on ten minutes of racquetball."

I'm still not sure what the dividing line is for "you need stitches" and "band-aid" but I figured as long as I didn't manage to get whacked in the face again, I could probably finish the match and, if need be, seek treatment later. I really get into the intensity of the game and I was kind of bummed to give it up over a simple trajectory miscalculation. So, on we played!

I'm generally pretty resistant to going to doctors anyway just because of the wait, the other sick people waiting, the bureaucratic BS, and the rest, but I guess ultimately I decided I didn't want to risk my lucrative modeling career.

I have a nasty red shiner today and half my face is all swollen up, but it actually is pretty painless. I plan to ski on Monday if the goggles don't sit on the gashline. Supposed to get some snow this weekend.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Alan, don't talk about sking too loud. The great and wonderful 2010 Games are running out of snow in Vancouver. They are trucking it in again and dumping it on the slopes with helicopters. Also read today that the extra security is costing a billion dollars. It all would be funny if it wasn't so sad and expensive.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 AM   #16
alanmcorcoran

Looks to me like they had plenty at Whistler but (for political/commercial reasons?) stuck it out at the lower elevation Cypress. Seems to me like the first thing on the Winter Games site location checklist should be:

1) Does it snow there? (Y/N)
2) No, seriously, does it SNOW? Flurries don't count. Light dusting is not snow. What we are looking for is ten feet deep, not-getting-out-of-your-driveway-til-May, holy-shit-our-roof-is-gonna-cave-in snow.

I've always thought of Vancouver as the sort of San Francisco/Portland of Canada and, other than Whistler/Blackcomb, never really thought it was seriously wintry, like say, Montreal or Winnipeg. Course I only been there two or three times.

Don't be too jealous. The snow we get in San Bernadino County is iffy and fleeting. They supplement it at Mountain High with the spray gun stuff and, if the temperature cooperates, you can get in some decent, if somewhat monotonous, runs. I go local just to maintain my meager ability from season to season, especially if I am considering going somewhere more upscale. My favorite place to ski is actually Colorado on I-70, home to Vail, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone and, my favoritely named resort: Beaver Creek! (I have some jokes about the slope "grooming" there, but they mostly suck.)

So far this year all I've been able to manage is three short trips to Wrightwood.

It's been raining all evening and it was a little chilly out there (mid fifties!) so that means there might be fresh powder this weekend.