Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
bonehead

Re: No Center stand!!!

Two 16 penny duplex nails/ loss of air pressure/new tube.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Two 16 penny duplex nails/ loss of air pressure/new tube.
New tube ONLY ??
If so, that's NOT good.
Should at least have a vulcanized boot (patch) between the hole(s) and the new tube.

Many would advise not ever riding on a patched tire.......but given the performance characteristics of the GZ......I don't see a problem, if it is done right.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
bonehead

Yes they patched the holes in the tires to protect the tube. The purpose of my original post was to lend a litte knowledge about a safe way to raise the rear of the motorcycle to be able to remove the rear wheel, whether it be to replace a tire, sprocket, etc.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
The purpose of my original post was to lend a litte knowledge about a safe way to raise the rear of the motorcycle to be able to remove the rear wheel,
I got a sissor jack from the junk yard for a couple of bucks. On a solid surface, it worked well enough for chain oiling and adjustment but wasn't stable enough to actually remove a wheel.
I thought that a notched out 2X4 would have made it much more stable.......bit I didn't get around to doing that before the bike left.

I think the Shadow will fit on the ATV jack; should be much more stable.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #15
davedrave

Had to do the back brakes recenty (albeit on m 125)

I just put it on the side stand and then slowly jacked it up with a car stand towards the rear, eventualy you'll get clearence for the back wheel (without snapping the side stand like a twig :neener: )

Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedrave
Had to do the back brakes recenty (albeit on m 125)

I just put it on the side stand and then slowly jacked it up with a car stand towards the rear, eventualy you'll get clearence for the back wheel (without snapping the side stand like a twig :neener: )
A good practice is wrapping something around the front brake lever to lock the wheel. That way the bike will not try to roll as you lift it. With the brake on you can just push the bike over on the side stand a bit and use a piece or wood(2x2)to prop up the right hand side of the swing arm.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
dhgeyer

I've always done the scissors jack trick if the bike had no centerstand. Only things I'll add are:

1. In order to avoid scratches, it's a good idea to put a wood pad of some sort between the jack and the frame.

2. If you're raising the bike high enough to pull a wheel, you will need to progressively put boards or whatever under the sidestand so that the bike doesn't lean so far to the left as to become unstable.

3. I have had some luck using a second jack under something on the right side in order to balance the support of the sidestand on the left side. If you can do this (I haven't had occasion to try this on the GZ) the bike becomes quite stable, even if it's fairly elevated.

4. Rather than clamp the brake, I chock whichever wheel is still on the ground. Either approach will work, and both is probably best.

Here's another idea I just had, Run a 4 by 4 about four feet long under the bike, and jack up both ends of it simultaneously. Tie the bike with straps to either end of the 4 by 4. Just an idea. Haven't tried it, but it should work.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:03 AM   #18
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer

4. Rather than clamp the brake, I chock whichever wheel is still on the ground.
I ALWAYS carry a length of velcro (I have it wrapped round the mirror arm) to use if I park on a hill. I hadn't had the bike long, When I found that leaving it in gear DOESN'T stop it running forward off the stand! :whistle:
Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:

I ALWAYS carry a length of velcro (I have it wrapped round the mirror arm) to use if I park on a hill. I hadn't had the bike long, When I found that leaving it in gear DOESN'T stop it running forward off the stand! :whistle:

That's a good idea if you are going to park facing downhill. I've learned never to do that. For one thing, if it's a blind space, or if someone blocks me, I have to go beg for help getting my 600 or 700 pound bike free. Also, of course, if it's on the sidestand and slides back a little, it doesn't matter. If it slides forward it'll fall over. I'll do whatever I have to - back into a space or find another space - to park either on level ground or facing uphill.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:

That is where I keep my Velcro too. Handy as can be.