Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
Jere

Re: Valve Clearance.

I've got the valve adjuster screw, the feeler guages, and an offset 8mm wrench that I picked up at Sears for about $7. Now I just have to find the time!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #12
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere
I've got the valve adjuster screw, the feeler guages, and an offset 8mm wrench that I picked up at Sears for about $7. Now I just have to find the time!
Takes about an hour the first time.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

I wish I lived a little closer to you guys - I'd love to give you some more opportunities to earn back your tool investment. The real downside of relying on dealership mechanics is you are rolling the dice everytime you go. Having worked in a dealership (car, not MC) I'm acutely aware that there is often a skewed bell curve of capability. Our service techs ranged from brilliant to "I learned most of what I know about cars washing them prior to delivery." I suspect that something like valve adjustments benefits from both skill and experience and I doubt that the GZ is one of the top sellers in the KAWA/HONDA/SUZI/YAMAHA dealer world.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 AM   #14
bonehead

[I suspect that something like valve adjustments benefits from both skill and experience and I doubt that the GZ is one of the top sellers in the KAWA/HONDA/SUZI/YAMAHA dealer world.[/quote]
Try looking for an independent m/c shop. They should be knowledgeable on almost evey make and model. I have a shop in Austin that advertises "We work on what They sell". Establish a good rapport with them and every worry should be gone.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
dhgeyer

Alan,

Tech days are a wonderful invention. Someone who is accomplished in doing their own maintenance hosts a tech day, in his (or her!) garage if it's big enough, or renting some space somewhere. People come from all over who have varying degrees of skill and tools, and who need to have various jobs done. Then, everyone helps each other out, and everyone learns.

I never would have attempted a full tune up on my Concours had I not attended a tech day a week prior to doing it. A guy had ridden in from New Jersey the day before (the tech day was in Southern Mass), so that his engine would be cold in the morning. He had never done any wrenching to speak of. Several of us, including the bike's owner, observed, helped, learned, and took the whole process in, under the guidance of a very experienced host. The hosts wives provided a wonderful lunch, and we all took a break. The tune up on the Concours took all day, partly because so many people were involved, partly because it is an all day job on the Concours by the time you get all the plastic off, wrestle with the valve cover, and adjust 16 valves. I did mine the next weekend, and it went off without a hitch. Other people were replacing tires, one guy came down from Ontario, and replaced his water pump - all kinds of stuff to observe ans learn.

I live in Southern New Hampshire, and my space would be quite limited. I am nowhere near the mechanic that these guys were. But I wouldn't mind doing a small tech day here, focusing on the basic stuff, if anyone is interested. I'm pretty sure that anyone who had actually seen a tune up or an oil and filter change done on a GZ would never pay to have it done again.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
mrlmd1

To DG - Any chance you guys could pack up and come down here to the Gulf Coast in the Florida panhandle? That's a great idea for everyone, never heard of that before. Same thing happens in surgery to teach others your craft - watch one, do one, teach one.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
dhgeyer

I love road trips, and it would be fun to do that sometime, but the rest of this season is pretty well booked up for me and the family. Maybe next year, if room and board were free. I haven't been to Florida since I was 10, and Disney World didn't exist! Are there many members of this group in your area?

Dave Geyer