Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 07-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Canuck

My GZ Update (year 2..considering cross Canada ride)

Hey guys,

It's been awhile since ive been on the website but its good to be back!

Havent needed much assistance on here after a long winter of troubleshooting to get my GZ right where i need it.

I ride with a 16 tooth sprocket modification, used 91-92 octane gasoline, switched the needle shim mod back for better gas mileage and I have a Windguard and a 29 litre Shad trunk box.

I have ridden long distances from Vancouver Island all the way to Central interior British Columbia, up and down pristine mountains using the GZ to its fullest potential.

After my second season of pushing the GZ to what i thought were its limits i can say i feel pretty confident about embarking on a Cross Canada cruise

Sounds a bit nutty i know considering the size of the engine BUT...its come this far why not EH?

I wouldnt be doing LONG runs day after day but enough to get me there in good time but not to quick that she dies out on me and needs big engine repairs...

What do you guys think... ?? what major precautions should one take when considering to embark on a multiple thousand kms journey on a 250.

Keep in mind my bike has been used to riding on the highways sometimes in 4th gear full throttle up hills etc and on windier headwinds.

the only things ive noticed when doing so is a hotter engine and i sense shes "sipping" oil abit more than when it is city-driven.

Cheers All

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist
Re: My GZ Update (year 2..considering cross Canada ride)

I've only owned a GZ for a few days, so I'm sorry I don't have any tips for ya. However, let me be the first to say good luck and also to express my awe at the size of your cojones!
Old 07-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Re: My GZ Update (year 2..considering cross Canada ride)

A trip across Canada is easily doable. You already know the bike's limitations so ride accordingly. Lynda rode her GZ to Brandon Manitoba last year so there is no doubt the bike will make it. No problems encountered except total boredom on the prairies. Did sip a bit of oil too but nothing to get excited about. The tire PSI was keep 2 or 3 above max recommended for better wear and less rolling resistance. Full synthetic oil(20-50 Amsoil)and fresh filter before we left. Chain lubed with DuPont/teflon everyday after the riding but before the chain cooled down for the night. Take a spare headlight bulb. Take a camera of course. A small Spitfire windshield worked well for Lynda. Heated grips for cool mornings. Pile enough stuff on the pillion seat to act as a backrest. Fill the tank and repeat when needed.
Yes it is a long trip and some folks will look at you a bit funny but will envy you all the same. Many have forgotten or never realize that a 250 was once considered a large bike and the bomb for a long ride. The GZ is basically bullet proof when ridden within it's limitations. The one and only complaint from Lynda was she had to "Ride It" and always be planning ahead. No such thing as just turning the throttle when the road started to rise or the wind picked up. Her M-50 solves the hill problems VERY nicely and was equiped using experience learned on the GZ. The GZ will make a newbie into a seasoned rider if you let it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads