Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 05-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
greenhorn

Re: Safety precautions with brand new tires???

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
New tires can be tricky. The scrub-in process is usually just roughing up the surface so they don't slip on the road. Depending on the softness of the tire and the relative grit of the roads you ride on, it can be anywhere from 10 miles to 100 miles before they're scrubbed effectively.

The best thing to really think about when you're scrubbing in new tires is to be extra careful in sharp turns. The GZ doesn't really have the torque to kick out your tires, but you still don't want to grab too much throttle mid-turn. Don't be wary of turning with them though. You need to get good surface contact with all contact parts of the tire during the scrub-in otherwise you'll be surprised to hit a clean strip on your tires when you're not expecting it.

Just do your normal riding, being a "little" more conservative with the throttle in turns, but a "little" more liberal in your lean angle. This will force the bike over more and will get the entire tread in contact with the road surface. You'd do good to take a few windy roads around too, but be more cautious with your speed. They're pretty well scrubbed in when they aren't glossy or shiny anymore after you wipe them off with a damp rag or a wet finger. They should also feel a little rough to the touch.
Thanks for the details. I'm at almost 100 miles with the new tires and I think I've gone about it right. As above. We've had one beautiful day here in MN , most people were already at their destination for the weekend & so my noobie nerves weren't bothered much by traffic. I put on about 60 miles today.

M :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads