Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
dannylightning

hey there

a bit about me. i go by Danny lightning, that was my stage name when i used to play in rock and roll bands and the name stuck. right now i do a solo acoustic project, i got tired of all the crap you got to deal with between band members and guys that think they are rock stars and want to run the show, so i went solo. i don't really play out that often but ever once in a while i get the itch go play out and i book a show.

i live in Memphis Tennessee, i have been here for about 8 months. i am originally from ohio, i have lived in a few different states. i gust got my first bike witch is of course a gz250. i have done some riding in the past, my friends always had dirt bikes and motorcycles that i could use and finally decided to get my own.

i like playing and listening to music, that is my number one passion. i don't watch or own a television, im addicted to the computer, i like out doors, shooting guns, working out, lifted trucks and offroading. unfortunately i had to get rid of my lifted 4x4. the gas was eating me alive after my job cut me back to part time and i drive about 50 miles to work and back but i got a new toy that gets killer gas millage so im happy.

any ways there's my introduction. if you got a myspace account check out my page. myspace.com/dannylightningrocks like i said im addicted to the computer so if I'm not at work, sleeping or cruzing on the bike im usually answering my messages on myspace. my name on yahoo messenger is dannylightning. i don't get on there a whole lot but I get on there every now and again.

I'm glad i found this site so far it has been quite helpful and a big thank you to the people who made the site..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: hey there

welcome danny.

Do you have a facebook? I just started promoting a series of singer songwriter shows out here (not my real job.)

I play the piano badly and shoot guns a little better. Out here there is an unwritten rule about truck height and one's... unit. so... no truck.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
welcome danny.

Do you have a facebook? I just started promoting a series of singer songwriter shows out here (not my real job.)

I play the piano badly and shoot guns a little better. Out here there is an unwritten rule about truck height and one's... unit. so... no truck.
nope i don't have a face book i think i had one when that site first started and hated it. ill halve to check it out again.

i play the piano badly too but wish i knew how. you ever hear of the band owl city. that guy has a drum machine and a keyboard and makes this slow electronic music and he has about 100000000 friends on myspace. i don't think he is on a record label from what i remember reading, he just started playing out last month. he probably makes a killing if he is selling cd's on his own and has that many friends on his myspace.

looks like that kind of music is getting popular and there aren't many bands that sound like that yet i have seen a few pop up here and there and they have thousands and thousands of friend too . i think if you play piano right now would be the time to jump on that band wagon.

there is a piano in my house. i should start practicing..

what kind of guns you got, i have a glock 30, i sold the few other ones i had.. after i got the glock i never touched any of my others. im a descent shot but not perfect, haven't been out shooting since I left AZ. out there you could just go out in the desert and shoot or to the big range that was only charged a few bucks.. here all the shooting ranges are expensive

Old 04-13-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

I have still not yet "pulled the trigger" on a gun purchase. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be investigated out here. It's a little bit daunting. I rent guns at my local pistol range and I went out into the boonies to learn to trap shoot (shotguns). (I really didn't think I could hit those things and was pretty stoked when I started blasting 'em.) I'm a decent shot but I'm old and my eyesight is shot. Those shotguns get heavy damn quickly and your shoulder will be sore if you go at it for too long. I've shot various 9mm and .45's (Sig, Glock, Springfield?, others) Sometimes the guy only has certain guns available to rent so I just shoot whatever. I keep "planning" on getting a .45 and a shotgun (cheapo Remington w/pump), but for whatever reason, I keep putting it off. Fact is, unless someone invades my home, the only place I can shoot is at the pistol range anyway, and some of these guns ain't cheap. To be honest, most of the guns I shot were pretty good. The .45 makes more noise and has a bigger pop when you squeeze, maybe a little heavier too. But I've been told it kills a lot better than a 9 and is safer to shoot bad guys with (less likely to kill your neighbor through the wall.) The Glock was nice, the Sig was nice, even the springfield was nice. All pretty accurate at 25 and 40 ft. I tried out some bigger guns (size wise) but they were too heavy for me. People arealways giving me advice on what to buy, but I'm usually not as into it as they are. I just like shooting and seeing how good i can do on the target. Last time I shot with and without my glasses - it was almost the same! If an orange blur comes into my house it better watch out!

I mainly play the piano for my own entertainment, but as I got close to 50, I wanted to play in public. I have done a total of three public performances in the last two years. One was just one song with a singer. One was 28 solos as a bar pianist - fortunately the bar noise was deafening and I don't think anybody could actually hear me. I've also entertained my clients on a few occasions with one song. Working my way up to it, I guess.

I don't do music to make money (and I'm not good enough to play even for free) it's just a lifelong hobby.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #5
dannylightning

one draw back about a .45 ammo is not cheep. my glock is a .45 some times i wish i would have got a 9mm you can get twice as much ammo for less money. i like glock cus they are really low maintenance and they last for ever. a few of my friends back in ohio are cops and they love glocks.. that's why i ended up getting one and i was super happy i did. shooting is a great hobby.

when i got my guns i had to fill out a form. they fax it to the irs and have a back ground check on you. 10-20 minutes later they get a fax back and you walk out the door with you new fire arm. i had a shot gun, that was cool for shooting clay pigeons but i think hand guns are more fun.. i had a ruger sp101 357 magnum hammerless revolver for a while and that was just ridiculous not getting one with a hammer was a mistake since you couldn't pull back the hammer before you shot it, the trigger was so strong it would start to hurt your fingers quick. you couldn't help but blink every time you shot the thing and so did my friends that were shooting next to me, mine had really low recoil so even tho it was extremely powerful it was not rough to shoot. i have heard some guys say a most 357's are pretty harsh to shoot. one of those would definitely kill all your neighbors. i hope i never halve to use a gun for self defense that is the last thing i ever want to do. but its good to have one around just in case, when its either me or them its not gonna be me if i can help it..

i used to want to be a rock star when i was younger, im 31 now and pretty much realize that probably wont ever happen. so doing my solo thing and playing a show a couple times a year is all i ask for. the only thing that sux is since i dont play out that much i get really nervous when i do. when i was playing out in bands regularly being nervous was never really a issue except for the first few times i playedout. Elvis said he was scared to death before every single show he every played, he said he was so worried about doing well for his fans and did not want to disappoint them. but after getting out there and seeing how much they got in to the music he would loosen up and rock out after a song or two..

so yeah im pretty much in it for the enjoyment but if i ever hit it big i don't think i would turn it down of course that is after taking the contract to a entertainment lawyer and making sure they weren't gonna screw me over the way my friends band got screwed, they ended up owing the record company quite a bit of money. the company kept sending them money to go in to the studio and buy new equipment but what they did not know is they had to pay all that money back and they barley got a dime out of the cd sales, they never went and tourred for some reason, thats where the artist make the real money.

im not sure it i would like the being famous part tho, you couldn't go out and do any thing with out being harassed by every one in town. it was bad enough when i played in local bands and got kind of well known around the area and people would always come and bother me, it was really no big deal except when i was out a dates or trying to spend some time with the girl i was dating. i only really got bothered when i was out at the bars that i played at cus the bar regulars were always there for the shows too. i took a lot of my dates out the the bars. i liked to drink a lot back than and so did most of the girls i met, now i hardly ever have a beer, drinking all the time got really expensive when it was a 7 day a week deal for a few years, i decided i was wasting way to much money and gave it up..

well im tired and rambling so im off to bed