Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
jberejik

Re: New from Athens, just build saddle bag supports.

Hey Moniebird

They are attached to the holes left by the reflector on each side of the rear fender support. These bags are narrow in the back, so my support is probably smaller than if the bags were box-shape. I got the steel from Lowes in a width that was the same size as the (reflector) bracket I replaced. It was just a matter of bending the metal by hand in a vise and drilling holes. I used the old brackets as a template for the drilling holes in the supports. I also needed to get new, longer bolts because the supports are thicker than the bracket.

I decided on a "C" shaped support because it provides more surface area against the inside of the bag. These are soft sided bags and so I thought that was a better choice. I also bent the support outward to get better clearance (cant really see this in the picture)

The photo was of my first try. These are too small for my bags, even though i only need support in the back (the front of the bags currently rest outside the rear shock (see photo above) Anyway I made some bigger ones. The camera is acting up, but I'll try to post a pict of the final product.

It was a really simple job, once I wrapped my head around it.

Love the bags, even though, as noted above they were made for a trail bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #12
jberejik

Oh, one final note. with the bigger supports, I was able to mount the bags under the rear seat rather than on top. They were initially designed to sit atop the seat and strapped down. This way is more permanent, and its a commuter bike for me so that works out fine.

Moedad: How are yours holding up? Im curious about the long-run.

Easy Rider: Yup, Athens Ga.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberejik
Moedad: How are yours holding up? Im curious about the long-run.
So far, so good.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
mrlmd1

jberejik and Moedad -- Do you have enough room under the right bag so it doesn't burn or melt from the exhaust, or did you put a metal plate underneath the bag?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
jberejik and Moedad -- Do you have enough room under the right bag so it doesn't burn or melt from the exhaust, or did you put a metal plate underneath the bag?
Haven't measured it, but there's at LEAST two inches between on mine, maybe closer to three. And they already have heat-resistant panels built in.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Hey Moniebird

They are attached to the holes left by the reflector on each side of the rear fender support. These bags are narrow in the back, so my support is probably smaller than if the bags were box-shape. I got the steel from Lowes in a width that was the same size as the (reflector) bracket I replaced. It was just a matter of bending the metal by hand in a vise and drilling holes. I used the old brackets as a template for the drilling holes in the supports. I also needed to get new, longer bolts because the supports are thicker than the bracket.

I decided on a "C" shaped support because it provides more surface area against the inside of the bag. These are soft sided bags and so I thought that was a better choice. I also bent the support outward to get better clearance (cant really see this in the picture)

The photo was of my first try. These are too small for my bags, even though i only need support in the back (the front of the bags currently rest outside the rear shock (see photo above) Anyway I made some bigger ones. The camera is acting up, but I'll try to post a pict of the final product.

It was a really simple job, once I wrapped my head around it.

Love the bags, even though, as noted above they were made for a trail bike.

That is brilliant. No more hi $ aftermarket stuff. Have a suggestion for anyone contemplating this and in no way reflects on the originator of this design. I never would have thought of it. Use a somewhat longer piece of bar and make a box shape so that the ends are both bolted to the bike. A bit more rigidity and no free end to ever get bent in towards the wheel if the bike falls over.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #17
jberejik

A big box design would be great, and because there are two holes left from the reflector post we could use one for each end of the box. Literally, any size and shape would be possible. Great idea!

Happy Riding.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
A big box design would be great, and because there are two holes left from the reflector post we could use one for each end of the box. Literally, any size and shape would be possible. Great idea!

Happy Riding.
The great idea belongs to you. Improving and altering an already existing design is easy.