Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 01-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
ajcollier015

hello from the ok

Hey my names aj just got an 07 gz250 and its my first bike and love it. To show you how new I am I managed to burn a hole through my pants on my muffler when I was filling up... any one have any good tips on how to get that gunk off the pipe?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: hello from the ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcollier015
Hey my names aj just got an 07 gz250 and its my first bike and love it. To show you how new I am I managed to burn a hole through my pants on my muffler when I was filling up... any one have any good tips on how to get that gunk off the pipe?
Welcome! Your initiation into motorcycle riding has just began.

:blush: BTDT.

At least it was pants and not skin!! :shocked:
Might want to save the polyester pants for non-riding use; cotton jeans won't do that.

Remember to always put the side stand down before dismounting too!
Don't park facing DOWNhill as a slight forward movement will roll it OFF the stand.
Park in IN gear; that is your parking brake.
Some of this stuff they don't teach you in school. :biggrin:

Sometimes after "cooking" the stuff good with a few long rides to get it really hot, you can flick it off after it cools with a stick. Failing that, or if it is a thin streak, soak it in GooGone; sometimes WD40 works too. Last resort is 0000 steel wool but be gentle so as to not scratch the chrome.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
mrlmd1

I hope you weren't sitting on or straddling the bike when you were filling it up and burned your leg. Spilling gas on the hot engine or pipe (possible flameup) or in your lap, isn't too cool. You should be off the bike, the bike on it's stand leaned over, to fill it properly - Check out the other threads on here on this topic. Don't get into bad habits at the start of something new.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
At least it was pants and not skin!! :shocked:
I resemble that remark.

I learned quickly to fill up the bike with it leaning TOWARD the pumps...then you're not leaning into the exhaust pipe just to reach the gas cap.

Where in Oklahoma are you?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Quote:
When I first got my bike I stopped to get gas took off my jacket, laid my jacket over my bike, and the polyester inside burnt to the tail pipe. I couldn't get it off with anything for months then I used bug and tar remover and a piece of steel wool real lightly. Go for a ride before you do it and get your muffler really hot. Be careful not to burn your fingers. Also It may be flammable so... yeah.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Welcome AJ.

I spilled the gas all over the tank, the engine and the ground on my first fillup. My third one, too. You'll get better. I can top that thing off right up to the lip now.

Here's some other stuff to add to the fillup routine:

1) reset the trip odometer (it's basically the GZ gas gauge)
2) make sure your fuel switch is set back to "not-on-reserve" (On?) (the "long" part pointing forward.)

It's worth a few minutes to study this switch, understand the meaning of the three positions, and be able to put your clutch hand right on it while going down the highway without having to think or feel around. Common early problem is the switch is left in "reserve" so when you run out, you are O-U-T out and walking. Also, I have run out of the regular tank several times on the freeway. If you switch it to reserve right off, it will fire right back up with just a modest drop in speed.

There's pictures of it on here somewhere.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
ajcollier015

Hey thanks for all the advice yeah I had it leaning in the other direction of the pump and steped off to grad the nozzle and just put my leg up against it and it burned through the ski pants I had on... it was cold and the pants are big so kinda caught the pipe but ill try running it for a while and melting it off.