Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
gnu88001

Squirrely tires?

Mine's a 2006 and ever since I've had it I've noticed that any groove or other pavement imperfection that is parallel to my direction causes the bike to swerve/wiggle a little from side to side. My previous bike was a 1966 Yamaha which did this only when the pavement had been cut with many grooves or on some metal bridges. Also, it seems to me that modern tires are inflated more than older ones ... they're harder, IMO. Is the wiggle normal or might the factory tires be the problem?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Sarris

Re: Squirrely tires?

Sound pretty normal to me. Remember too, that the GZ is a very light bike, so you'll feel those road imperfections more than on a heavier bike. Also, make sure the tire inflation is per the manual.

:2tup:
Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
mld85

This is normal especially on smaller bikes with narrower front tires. Nothing to worry about just ride straight through the "squirlies" don't try to counter steer them.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

I wasn't aware the GZ had a narrow front tire. Isn't it the widest front tire on any 250cc bike?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
mrlmd1

Low tire pressure will make it feel squirrelly (squirlie?), wiggly, and "mushy" too. I noticed this a week ago on a nice smooth road and when I checked my front tire pressure (new tires put on recently) it was low, like 20psi. When I pumped it up it feels fine now. Check your tire pressures anyway.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
mld85

Yes the GZ does have a wide tire for a 250, I was just saying that overall small tires are subject to being grabbed by groves in the road.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
gnu88001

Thanks for the info, ya'll. I keep an eye on tire pressure so, unless the wiggle get worse, I'll keep boogeyin' down the road and enjoy the scenery.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

I think the tire tread itself has a lot to do with getting a little squirrely on groves. Let the bike do it's dance and enjoy it. Lynda was bothered by the dance on grooves initially but after logging a trip half way across Canada and back she just smiles and twists the throttle. Another factor is probably fork flex when on a grooved road surface. You will not see it but it is there. On the VStrom I added a fork brace and the difference was quite apparent. I highly doubt there is a brace for the GZ unless it is a universal fit that covers it's particular fork diameter and fork spacing. Fork braces are very bike specific items.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Water Warrior is on the right track. Tire tread / compound has a lot to do with how the bike handles road snakes (tar lines in the road) and metal bridges.

My shadow had the same problem until i switched to metzler tires. They work great over metal bridges and road snakes. Hardly feel them now.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook