Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 09-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Dividing lines...

The recent thread about what constitutes a "real" biker, (versus, I guess, a poser?) got me thinking about the wide variety of interests and attitudes represented here.

One of the biggies is the never ending ATGATT debate. Seems to be three factions: The Shoulds, the Don'ts and the Don't Cares. I wear it cause I'm a pussy and I'm afraid I will fall off one day. It doesn't bother me too much except for the time involved in getting it all on and when its north of 80 degrees. I don't care if I get laughed at, I've been laughed at all my life. You get used to it. I envy the riders with the balls to go with a tshirt and shorts, but I'm not sure, even if I ever grew a pair, I'd ever want to ride with no face shield. I swear a hummingbird bounced off my head last week. All kinds of crap comes off trucks out here. Even managed to get something in my eye yesterday with the damn thing down.

The mpg. I suppose I'm interested in this as far as knowing roughly when I'm going to run out, but I didn't get my GZ to save on gas. Not sure if this puts me in the minority or not - the press seems to think that high gas prices are driving people to motorcycles, and this seems very logical. Personally, I think that trying to save money is not motivation enough to take the risk of riding. There's got to be something more. My theory is that guys use the gas argument to convince their families it's a good idea to ride. They are sort of going green. As for me, I just bought mine for fun and to learn how to ride.

How fast will it, can it, does it go? This again has practical value. I've posted elsewhere that I don't think the GZ goes fast enough for freeway travel. And I have been interested in how much this might improve after the break in. But I don't think I'll be screwing with the carburetor or the transmission to goose another 5 mph out. To me, if you want a fast bike, don't get a GZ.

Which brings us to mods. I see a lot of clever mods on here, and it's clear that a lot of guys are interested in tweaking the production unit. I'm sort of in between on this. I think I'm more of an upgrade guy. I don't really like to mess with the basics, partly because I'm limited mechanically, and partly because I think if I really want something that different, maybe I should have bought a different bike. On the other hand, if there are cool gizmo's that are fun, fit on the thing well, and either improve the experience or eliminate hassles, I'm right there. (Like if I could buy a gas gauge!) A windshield I think is first on my list.

Commuters vs strictly for fun. I fall into both camps here, but mainly because my goal is to be able to one day go on an extended road trip by myself. So both the commuting and the mini-tours are really just practice.

Big vs small. Some feel you have to go bigger, some feel like the GZ is quite big enough, and some have a big bike and a small bike. I'm not sure where I stand on this one yet. I feel very comfortable on the small bike and I felt pretty intimidated by the bigger ones, but I think I may work my way up. I like the lightness of the GZ, but it feels a little too light at 55 and above.

The committed and the casual. I think I am more of a casual rider. I might ride for the next ten years, or I might lose interest after I do a tour. I'm kinda like that, noncommittal. Sarris bought a new bike while hobbling around from totalling his last one. That's commitment.

I'm sure there's a lot more, but I think it's great that despite all of our differences, all of us can come together in a productive manner and exchange information that enhances the whole experience. My hat is off to Dupo, BadBob and Patrick for making this happen.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: Dividing lines...

Alan, you know that I'm not an ATFGATFT kinda guy, but I'm not stupid. I usually wear jeans, t-shirt, riding boots, and a half police style helmet w/ riding sunglasses. I reserve the heavy leather jacket and gloves for what little winter we have in Florida. I'm very confident in my riding skills, and advanced avoidance techniques have saved my ass on numerous occasions. This is the risk that I am willing to accept after 30+ years of riding. You have to do what is right for you. And no, you're not a pussy. You have the cajones to ride (which is more than most people), so you have to be comfortable with the gear you decide to wear. You are also allowed to change your mind any time you want to. No one elses ass is on the line. So quit worring what other people think. Do your thing your way. To the general public, a biker is a biker is a biker.........

The mpg? Commuters care, the rest of us typically care less or not at all. I will however say that 70+ mpg is nice but not the underlying reason for riding a GZ for me. I just think that the little bike is a blast to drive as an around towner and for errands, etc. I really dig it now that I have a stereo. As far as top speed, again I could care less. Most of my GZ-ing is at 55 mph or less, and the GZ does that without complaint and little fanfare. I'm also not a proponent of "performance mods" as most don't work anyways and even if you can eak a 10% power increase from your GZ you're gonna have whopping 19.8 hp versus 18 hp stock. I do not purport to know more than the Suzuki Motor Corp, so I mostly leave the running gear alone.

Chrome and bling is another thing altogether. I'm fairly sure as gas prices escalate, and small motorcycles become more popular, we'll see more GZ add on shit appear. Be patient, it'll happen. The MC companies are not going to let an opportunity to make money get away from them.

Commitment. It's more of a time and comfort level thing. I started out just like you. Commitment = time. How can you expect to be commited after only 3 or 4 months in the saddle? Hell, I wasn't too commited to my ex-wife after 3 or 4 months of marrage. You have to get comfortable motorcycling and have all the riding techniques become second nature just like driving a car. That doesn't come overnight either. Quit worrying, it will come. You will also know whether motorcycling is for you after you tour a bit.

I agree that this site and the admins are providing a very valuable service to GZ owners. Probably 85% of members are newbies, and the valuable info available here takes years as a rider to garner on your own. My hat is off to Dupo and the band of admins.

:pimpdaddy:

Now as far as occasionally being a recalcitrant old bastard, (ok most of the time) I plead guilty. But it can make life interesting. Viva la difference.

Ok, lets all hold hands and sing coom by ya..........

:chop:
Old 09-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
A windshield I think is first on my list.
Good choice. Don't skrimp too much on size. Get one TOO small and you will probably be disappointed.

Even mechanically challenged persons can bolt-on a universal windshield but it helps TREMENDOUSLY if you have a second person to just help HOLD it in place while tightening/adjusting. Actual installation time should be less than an hour .......but extra time might be required just to decide exactly where to place it.......or to move it when you decide another orientation would be better. I have "enjoyed" playing with one, including short test rides, for about a half a day on more than one occasion. :roll:

That brings me to your second "required" mod.
I wish we could expand our membership list a bit more........so that willing members could meet to compare things like windshields, seat mods and to test ride a bike that is equipped with the only engine ehnancement that I thing is worthwhile.......the 16 tooth front sprocket.

When I went to Atlanta in July (OK, bad move right there)I met up with John Sandlin and he got to test ride my 16T. He was amazed. I thought he was going to "bike jack" me and make me take his red one. :biggrin: The odd part of that story is that I only heard from him once after that meeting. I hope he is still OK. Not too concerned as he was starting a new job.

If you want to come to Illinois, I'd be glad to arrange a test ride with a 16T and large shield......but you'd better do it soon. The winter temperatures (below 70F) will be setting in soon !! :neener:

Old 09-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Jer

I dont think Alan was worried about anything. Just kind of recapping the different points of view that have been discussed in recent weeks.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
mr. softie

Terrific post Alan. A concise and calming perspective! :rawk:

Old 09-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
If you want to come to Illinois, I'd be glad to arrange a test ride with a 16T and large shield......but you'd better do it soon. The winter temperatures (below 70F) will be setting in soon !!
Easy, I'm flying to Chicago tomorrow.

(Not exactly to meet you, but... how far are you from the Second City?)
Old 09-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
You have to get comfortable motorcycling and have all the riding techniques become second nature just like driving a car. That doesn't come overnight either. Quit worrying, it will come. You will also know whether motorcycling is for you after you tour a bit.... Ok, lets all hold hands and sing coom by ya..........
I generally tend to agree with you in a lot of these areas. I've been accused of being a libertarian, but I think a truer description is I simply have trouble with authority. Don't like to be subject to it, don't respect it, don't even exercise it (even though I am the boss.) I respect experience, talent and results, not uniforms, credentials or titles. Doesn't always work out for me, and I often have to keep it to myself, but I feel like I can let the hair down a little on here.

I posted about my ride today down to Cook's (you'd like it there - I was the the only guy with The Gear.) I think I've made big strides with my cornering at speed ability, but I also can see I still have a long way to go. Now that I have a little more freedom with how to spend my time, I tend to rate things based on the duration of my shit-eating grin. I'd have to put the bike somewhere between a dinner date with two young ladies (who are just "fascinated" with me) and the double diamonds on the back side of Copper right after 6 inches of fresh powder. (If you aren't familiar with skiing... or ladies... this would be a "good".) Plus I can hop on the bike anytime. The other two require some planning.

"Oh, Lo-ord... Koom-buy-yaaaaah..."
Old 09-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
Terrific post Alan. A concise and calming perspective! :rawk:
Thanks Mr. Softie. Wasn't really sure why I posted it (I do like the sound of my own voice!) but now I'm glad I did.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Easy, I'm flying to Chicago tomorrow.

(Not exactly to meet you, but... how far are you from the Second City?)
About 100 miles, pretty much due South. In Champaign. Takes a little over 2 hours on a good day.
We have a little bit of computer "stuff" in town here. :biggrin:

Hope your visit goes OK. They've had a ***LOT*** of rain up there the past few days. Even opened the gates and dumped the river into Lake Michigan for a while.