Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 09-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
davidsuserid

Send a message via AIM to davidsuserid
WTB: Front Wheel

I am looking for a front wheel for my little GZ. I prefer one that the current owner knows is straight, because that is why i need it. All the places i have been to want to charge me $150 plus to true my currently un-true wheel, and I figured i would try to find a normal one first, for cheaper than that. Let me know what you have. I really only need the rim, center piece, and spokes, no tire, no bearings, no rotor. Let me know.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
music man

Re: WTB: Front Wheel

I can tell you that 150 dollars plus is pricey just to true your wheel, and I can also tell you that a new wheel(just the part the tire actually mounts to) is about 140.00 and even at a cheap place they told me it would cost about 125.00 to take off my tire, unlace the old wheel, lace up the new one, and mount and balance the tire again and put it back on my bike. I know that doesn't help you find a wheel but just in case you were wondering how much it would cost you to replace it. And at the price you said they quoted you to just true up yours I would say they would charge you twice that for labor to lace up a new one for you. And BTW they(the shop I go to) said if they could true up my wheel it would only cost me an hours labor 45.00 plus the price to take it off my bike and put it back 10.00. So good luck, as for me for now I am riding on a wheel with a flat spot in it, cause 300.00 or so bucks is not in my budget at the moment.

Later
Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
davidsuserid

Send a message via AIM to davidsuserid

So i should probably just have them try to true it and see if they can make it work. It isn't ridiculously out, just a smidgen, and i can tell where it is that is out, maybe that would make it cheaper if they knew where to look. Oh well, guess i will bite the bullet.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsuserid
So i should probably just have them try to true it and see if they can make it work. It isn't ridiculously out, just a smidgen, and i can tell where it is that is out, maybe that would make it cheaper if they knew where to look. Oh well, guess i will bite the bullet.
You need to tell them EXACTLY what you KNOW, not necessarily what you THINK. If there is a flat spot on the rim or if the rim is actually bent out of shape, then trying to "true" it is a waste of time and money.

If you have never done a true or spoke balance on a spoked wheel, you won't understand but $150 is not too much to pay for a good job. It may take more than an hour and a good deal of skill is required to do it right.