Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
CMS

Gz in England

Alantf, I think the GZ's are made in Spain, but I still don't understand why they are so scarce in England? Are the 125's ava only, or is it the 250 thats the rare model.I know they are here in the US, but are they limited in the European Contries? CMS :??:

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
alantf

Re: Gz in England

What's ava? I've never heard it before

As for the 250cc. In England you have to take a motorbike test that's as long & hard as a car test. If you learn & take the test on a 125cc, then that's the most you can ride, but that's all some folks want. If you learn & take the test on a bike with the same spec as a 250cc (up to25 kw/33 bhp, no more than 0.16 kw/kg) then you can't ride anything bigger for 2 years. If you learn & take your test on a bike over 35kw(46.6bhp) then you can ride anything from day one. This puts the 250cc class out of the race completely as a learner bike, unless you're going to ride it for more than two years.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
bonehead

ava= available?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
CMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
What's ava? I've never heard it before

As for the 250cc. In England you have to take a motorbike test that's as long & hard as a car test. If you learn & take the test on a 125cc, then that's the most you can ride, but that's all some folks want. If you learn & take the test on a bike with the same spec as a 250cc (up to25 kw/33 bhp, no more than 0.16 kw/kg) then you can't ride anything bigger for 2 years. If you learn & take your test on a bike over 35kw(46.6bhp) then you can ride anything from day one. This puts the 250cc class out of the race completely as a learner bike, unless you're going to ride it for more than two years.
Thanks for the answer, that makes sense, also ava is short for available. I 've always heard that above 400cc engine size there was a different tax rate [higher] on the bike, and the fuel costs are very high also. CMS

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953
Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
alantf

The English tax rates (per year) for motorcycles :-

up to 150cc = £15
151-400 = £33
401-600 = £50
over 600 = £70

Petrol is over £5($7 or $8) per gallon.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
The English tax rates (per year) for motorcycles :-

up to 150cc = £15
151-400 = £33
401-600 = £50
over 600 = £70

Petrol is over £5($7 or $8) per gallon.
I am wondering. Is the English tax the equivalent to Plate and Registration fee. ? Different wording but the same result to the government.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I am wondering. Is the English tax the equivalent to Plate and Registration fee. ? Different wording but the same result to the government.
Yes, I think so. You pay it up front to the government every year. You can pay it at the post office, & have to produce your registration documents (to prove ownership), test certificate (if over 3 years old), & insurance certificate. In return, you get a yearly "tax disc" to be fixed to the vehicle in a waterproof cover (or stuck to the bottom left of the windscreen, in a car). At the beginning of the 20th century, the tax was for the building of roads for the newfangled cars, but now it just goes into the bottomless pockets of the government.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
burkbuilds

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
At the beginning of the 20th century, the tax was for the building of roads for the newfangled cars, but now it just goes into the bottomless pockets of the government.
Like most taxes the government starts, there was almost always a "legitimate" reason for it originally, but that situation is usually resolved rather shortly while the tax goes on indefinitely and finds all sorts of uses it was never intended to support.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
alantf

Crazy English taxes :-

I can remember in my lifetime when you had to buy an annual "licence" if you owned a radio. If you had a radio in your car, you had to buy an extra licence.
If you had a dog, you needed an annual "licence"
Even now, if you own a television (and who doesn't?) you have to buy an annual licence, costing £139.50 per year ($200.00?)

The government call them "licences", as if they were permitting you to own a radio/dog/television etc., but it's still a tax under a different name. They've just announced that from next april V.A.T. (Value Added Tax for christsake!)is going to rise to 20% on EVERYTHING you buy in the shops.

It reminds me of the middle ages when there were (honestly) window taxes (you were taxed on how many windows your home had) and a beard tax. The fools didn't realise that people were just going to brick up their windows & shave off their beards.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
ncff07

Some cities in the US have rules where you have to have a permit to own a dog or cat inside the city limits now days. Suppose to register the animal and pay the fee to get the permit but most people dont. Theyll write the person a ticket if they find out they dont have the permit.