Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Canuck

Chrome "Coating" flaking off front wheel

When i do my fall tune up and get my bike winter ready for Vancouver Island im considering what to do with my front wheel. Its now flaked off 60 percent of the exposed part of my rim...

I was thinking of taking it in for a Sandblasting($50 Canadian per hour plus sand at $15 a bag), or polish the hell out of it and then get a new front wheel put on. (mine are cracked from weathering/age..etc)

I've seen some examples of people who painted over the chrome look with black...but I'd prefer not to ..

I know it wont match the rear wheel but will a THOROUGH polishing get it pretty close??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Chrome "Coating" flaking off front wheel

If both "tires" are cracked from age I would suggest that be the priority. New tires and tubes first. The chrome finish on the wheel is cosmetic, the tired tires are your life line to the road.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:04 AM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

:plus1:
If your tires are cracked from weathering or age, they're in need of immediate replacement. They are very dangerous and you're looking at a blowout causing an inconvenience or worse.

Forget the chrome for now...like WW said, tires are your life and THE most important part of a bike.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
When i do my fall tune up and get my bike winter ready for Vancouver Island im considering what to do with my front wheel. Its now flaked off 60 percent of the exposed part of my rim...
WOW.....TWO guys with flaky chrome .....in the same day !!!

I'm now wondering if it really is the chrome metal finish that is coming off......or a clear coat finish of some type and the actual chrome is still there. Having the actual metal flake off is somewhat unusual. If I were in that situation, I think I'd be shopping for some new wheels.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

Appreciate the info about the cracked sidewalls on the tires. I saw that elsewhere on this forum and never even knew to check for that (not as big a deal on cars, I don't think). I'm actually getting my tires on my VTX replaced this week now as a result. Thanks for potentially saving my life!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

In a perfect world we would all get to wear out our tires before they ever get old and start to crack.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
dannylightning

i also have flakey chrome on my front rim. it started to rust a bit, think that is what set it off and after i had my new tires put on the chrome really started to flake off. think it was the machine that takes the tires off and on that really made it start chipping. before that there was just a little chrome chipped off.

nothing wrong with my rim either, just chipping chrome. but you know what, i dont think im gonna worry about it unless i can find a good used front rim really cheep. the bike still rides just fine and it is just a gz, awsome little bike to ride around but its kind of like the geo metro of motorcycles, i cant see spending money on it if i don't halve to. ill save spending money on cosmetic issues for when i upgrade to my shadow or sportster iron.