Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 05-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
burkbuilds

Anybody have any experience with the S-40?

First let me say, I love my GZ and I've put over 10,000 miles on it this year. I was on it almost every day even through the Winter (which is fairly mild here in North Georgia) only using my truck when the AM temp was below 18 degrees. It has been very reliable, and easy to ride and maintain. Most of my trips were in the 20-40 minute range one way.

I've ridden it back and forth to Atlanta a few times (250 mile round trip for me)and it's not really the bike I want to do that trip with on a regular basis for a couple of reasons. First, if I try to keep up with traffic on 75 it's a losing battle and my gas mileage drops into the high 50's. Second, if I go 55-60 I feel like I'm gonna get run over by all the faster traffic, and it takes "forever". Third, it's just not very comfortable even with my seat modifications, after 4 + hours of riding, I'm beat.

Now it looks like I'm gonna be making that trip every week for the next 3 + years, so I'm thinking about something with a little more top end but I don't really like "big" bikes and I like the cruiser style, it fits me pretty well physically. So I'm wondering what an S-40 would be like, it's got twice the hp of my GZ and still gets over 60 mpg highway according to Suzuki's website. It's pretty similar style and size wise to the GZ but I don't know much about the bike. Anybody have one, once had one, know somebody who has one? If so, what did you think, was it reliable, how does it do on the highway at 75 mph, what type of gas mileage did you actually get on it? How is it's maintenance record, any problems I should know about, any negatives on the bike? Let me know what you know, thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Anybody have any experience with the S-40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
How is it's maintenance record, any problems I should know about, any negatives on the bike? Let me know what you know, thanks.
I don't know much.....except that it is a little taller than the GZ, has a slightly higher center of gravity and I personally don't like the drag bars on the newer models. I believe that the reliability is rock solid, pretty much like the GZ. It would certainly keep up with the traffic better.

My personal, biased recommendation is the Honda Shadow VT600; last year of mfg. 2007.
Only about 100 lbs. more than the GZ, reportedly gets about 55 mpg (but I can't vouch for that yet) and it runs real nice.

Might also consider the Suzuki S50; think there are a couple of other 500-600 small twins but can't remember what they are at the moment, by Kaw and Yamaha, I think.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

I wouldn't mind having an S40, but honestly, if you're wanting a highway bike, I'd opt for something with two cylinders. The Marauder and Intruder 800s (I can't remember which is the S50 and which is the C50.... or M50?) are really nice bikes.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
roncg41677

This might help.
~ Matthew 6:33 ~
Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #5

I don't have personal experience, but everything I've seen or heard about the S-40 is that it is not enough of a step up from the GZ for what you want. It's simply not a good highway bike; you'll run into a lot of the same issues, although not quite as much as the GZ, of course. I think you want the next one up (S-50, 800 cc). You'll lose a bit more MPG, but that's the price you pay if you want highway capability. Both are very reliable from reviews/other forums I've seen.

Keith

Old 05-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Birkbuilds, I seriously think you will regret a S-40 at least once a week for 3 years. You need something a little more highway friendly with more comfort for your body. The S-40 is a good bike with only one factory wart that I know of after lurking on other forums. A small to mid sized V-twin might be a better choice. Keep us informed of what you look at and we'll pick it apart for you. lol. :biggrin:
Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
burkbuilds

Okay, hey thanks, great advice so far. I've checked out some of the web sites you guys recommended and here is what I'm comparing now. Please keep in mind that I'm a college student (admittedly a 45year old one) but still, this means I've got to stretch my dollars both operationally for the bike and purchase price until I can graduate and re-enter the world of full time employment.

I am looking at these bikes: Honda VT 600C Shadow: Suzuki S-50 Boulevard (800cc) and a Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD : I'm still thinking about the Suzuki S-40 Boulevard too though. Please tell me how you think these bike compare for the use I plan to put them too.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
dannylightning

that Vulcan is supposed to be fast and a lot of fun, it has the ninja500 engine tuned to be on a cruiser. i like that boulevard s83 that is a 1400 cc if i remember correctly, they got a new one at the dealer here marked down to 7k not sure what they go for used, might be able to get a good deal on one. that bike is made to fly

for a bike good for all kinds of riding i think the Vulcan or the S50 would be a really good choice if you can find a good deal on one. or possibly the shadow

those 600 shadows are super cool bikes if you ask me, drove one and loved it, not sure about top speed but i hear it is about 90mph but a little slow to getting up to 90, a lot of people would recommend something with a little bigger engine.

how much highway driving do you plan on doing if any that may be the question to help decide what bike to get..

i don't want to ride on the highway, if i don't end up halving to sell my gz cus i need the money i think i'm just gonna keep that till it dies and not worry about getting a bigger bike. when it finally dies than ill move up .. at least that is how i see it at the moment. cant beat the gas milage..
Old 05-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
burkbuilds

I do love the 70 mpg I get on the GZ, and for around town it's my first choice but the comfort level on that ride to Atlanta is not something I want to do every week, it's kinda grueling for me with my back and all. Even at 2000 miles a month use, the difference in the fuel cost for the Vulcan or the Honda VT600 at 50mpg and assuming a gas price of $3 per gallon is only going to cost me $35 more a month than I'd pay for the GZ. Even at $4 a gallon the increase over the GZ would be about $46 per month, and I'd gladly pay that for an improvement in comfort and the ability to keep up with traffic on I-75. Besides that, when I've driven that run on the GZ and tried to keep her as topped out as she'd go, my mileage dropped to around 58mpg, which isn't much different than the Vulcan, and probably less than the S-50 and I was probably only averaging about 65 mph. Any of these bikes will save a lot of fuel compared with my truck at about 20 mpg highway which would cost me another $215 more a month than the GZ (assuming 70 mpg) at $3 per gallon and about $285 more at $4 per gallon.
Yes, I am assuming gas is going back up to at least $3 -$4 a gallon in the next year or less.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

In your location I would be looking for water cooling for those really hot days on the road. A drive shaft would be less labor intensive overall too. Don't know your finances but try to find a M-50, it is an FI bike. Better seating than the S-50 for longer rides. Good luck searching.